Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Pred's Fantasy Football Forums (http://predsff.com/forums//index.php)
-   Frenzy Rules & Bylaws (http://predsff.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2021 Season Rules changes discussions?? (http://predsff.com/forums//showthread.php?t=32907)

Burt the Butcher December 14th, 2020 02:01 PM

2021 Season Rules changes discussions??

Posting this to keep track of any off season suggested rule changes.

1) I would like to discuss possibly changing playoff Seedings to be purely based on record - so seeds 2 and 3 will not necessarily be the division winners. Using same method currently being used in SAC'd.

2) Also, would like to discuss penalty for failing to extend IR players. I would propose those who are not posted to extend, rather then being cut - they are merely placed back on Active Roster of the team, and the team then has time to adjust their roster if needed to fit them into cap requirements. To keep it from being bookkeeping nightmare for IR Supreme Commander, maybe give them until kickoff of first game of week after player loses their IR eligibility? or until they add new player via FA/Trade/etc. ?

predator06 December 14th, 2020 02:37 PM

Re: 2021 Season Rules changes discussions??

I would like to propose a 3 point home team advantage in the playoffs instead of 7....7 seems too high

Burt the Butcher December 14th, 2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator06 (Post 162436)
I would like to propose a 3 point home team advantage in the playoffs instead of 7....7 seems too high

Good luck man..I have been pushing to have this removed completely since joining Frenzy, but to no avail...the old guard holding tight ;-)

Burt the Butcher December 14th, 2020 03:18 PM

Speaking of old guard, are we down to 4 left? Mike, Jim, Pat and Matt?

Cbaker09 December 16th, 2020 12:33 PM

I think the line up needs some tweaks too like the ability to have 3Rb as opposed to two or maybe a flex player that could be any position . Jsut a thought.

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 16th, 2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher (Post 162438)
Speaking of old guard, are we down to 4 left? Mike, Jim, Pat and Matt?

Yup.
So we could easily be defeated in rules change votes. lol

Preds December 16th, 2020 01:01 PM

In my old age I can see myself coming to terms with the reduction or even elimination of Home Field Advantage, heck maybe even some form of SACD like renegotiation (not quite to the same degree), but allowing a starting formation with 3RBs is just way off the charts for me and not something I could find common ground with!

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 16th, 2020 01:05 PM

I could see a reduction of home field advantage.
But I'm not interested in renegotiation.

Burt the Butcher December 16th, 2020 02:28 PM

Even though I brought it up a few times, at this point I would probably be against renegs also.. Liking that difference between the two leagues in matters of building a team with more available key players each year.

Burt the Butcher December 16th, 2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbaker09 (Post 162460)
I think the line up needs some tweaks too like the ability to have 3Rb as opposed to two or maybe a flex player that could be any position . Jsut a thought.

We added this in another league.... Very few teams will start three RBs.. With Covid issues, and injuries, is nice to have the option..I don't think it's quite like it was a few years ago when single RBs dominated.

Preds December 16th, 2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher (Post 162465)
We added this in another league.... Very few teams will start three RBs.. With Covid issues, and injuries, is nice to have the option..I don't think it's quite like it was a few years ago when single RBs dominated.

Show me an NFL team that starts 3 RBs each week (as skill position runners/receivers, not blocking). It doesn't exist, or if it does happen is extremely rare. Very few teams even rotate 3 RB's over multiple games, much less one (SF being the outlier).

3RBs is not a standard or even occasional formation in the NFL, and therefore has no role in Fantasy IMO. Heck 3TE sets are much more frequent than 3 RBs, and 2 of those TE's are usually blocking (if not all 3). And in fantasy, it's not like you'd be starting a blocking FB or RB for that RB3 slot, it'd be a skilled player that can score. Allowing a team to potentially stackup at the RB position is just not even remotely OK IMO.

Burt the Butcher December 16th, 2020 05:08 PM

I understand we try to stick as close to NFL as possible, but NFL rosters are also 53 players, so sometimes those comparisons go out the window.

Also, the whole team goes on bye in the NFL, not just a few players at random.

I didn't think I would like it either, but it's growing on me...I would consider it IMO

Preds December 16th, 2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher (Post 162468)
I understand we try to stick as close to NFL as possible, but NFL rosters are also 53 players, so sometimes those comparisons go out the window.

Also, the whole team goes on bye in the NFL, not just a few players at random.

I didn't think I would like it either, but it's growing on me...I would consider it IMO

2/3rds of an NFL roster is defense and special teams. Further, most teams have 1/4 of their roster dedicated to the trenches on both sides of the ball alone. Look at the skill positions, most NFL teams have 2 QBs (some 3), 3-4RB's (rarely 5) 5-6 WR's (sometimes 7) and 2-3 TE's. Pretty much what we roster in fantasy.

As for BYES, of course we can't account for them the same, That just is what it is.

Liquid Swords December 16th, 2020 06:42 PM

My two cents. I play in leagues where 3RBs can be started, and I'm honestly not a fan so I wouldn't support it here. I've always been for eliminating home field advantage. I would compromise for a lower home field like Six suggested. Keep renegs with SACD. I like the two different strategies.

Cbaker09 December 16th, 2020 09:51 PM

It was really just an idea for more roster flexibility. I see the point of sticking with nfl rosters but several teams do use more then 3 backs which is why I also suggested a flex position were you could put any player in it . Not trying to rock the boat as the new guy.

Cbaker09 December 16th, 2020 09:52 PM

Sorry meant more then 2 backs not 3 .

Burt the Butcher December 16th, 2020 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbaker09 (Post 162472)
It was really just an idea for more roster flexibility. I see the point of sticking with nfl rosters but several teams do use more then 3 backs which is why I also suggested a flex position were you could put any player in it . Not trying to rock the boat as the new guy.

Rock away!! Us old curmudgeons need a little shaking up ever once in awhile

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 17th, 2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher (Post 162474)
Rock away!! Us old curmudgeons need a little shaking up ever once in awhile

Um, speak for yourself, Burt.
(And if you don't know that song, you should!)

wchmego December 17th, 2020 02:38 PM

I would like to suggest we eliminate the trade deadline. (in both leagues)

Here is an article with some good points:
https://subscribers.footballguys.com...d=HarstadDiT11

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 17th, 2020 06:07 PM

I could be in favor of that...

A Zombie Pirate I Be December 17th, 2020 07:00 PM

Reduce or eliminate the home field advantage, all for it..
Play 3 RBs - agree with most of the posts, against it..
Reneg, not sure about this one, don't think I would like it, but would need to look into it.
Trade dead line. This one I am against, the deadline is there for a reason - so teams won't dump players late in the season - I actually think the trade deadline should be a week or 2 earlier.

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 18th, 2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Zombie Pirate I Be (Post 162486)
Trade dead line. This one I am against, the deadline is there for a reason - so teams won't dump players late in the season - I actually think the trade deadline should be a week or 2 earlier.

I'd like to hear more behind your reasoning on this one. What you call "dumping" would result in, I'm assuming, draft picks for the team no longer in contention. Any "unequal trades" would be vetoed by the league administration. So, how would this not continue to help the competitive balance of the league? I'm in an unusual position this year, being a sucky team... and I chose to trade off pieces of the Opihi in order to secure draft picks for next year. Presumably, that will help me gain some young talent for future years of contention.

Or am I missing your point?

A Zombie Pirate I Be December 18th, 2020 01:49 PM

I would not suggest that any owner would dump players to stock another team. My concern would be that once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, all the final year contract players become basically worthless to that owner(except possibly for RFA).

Without a trade deadline, teams would be able to trade players up to and into the playoffs. This would encourage eliminated teams to trade players at a deflated price.

For example, a top positional player, whose usual value would be a first round pick is now valued by his owner as worthless (or possibly a 2.13 pick by letting him go during RFA). The eliminated team would be foolish not to trade his top positional players on a final year contract for second round picks. Basically, selling his players for under market value and stocking up on second round picks.

Yes, this does allow the eliminated teams to hopefully improve their teams the next season, but it also unfairly improves teams that are in the playoffs, by allowing them to add top positional players late and at a deflated price.

Owners work all off season and during the regular season to build and improve a team, only to watch eliminated teams trade players at under market value to their opponents. Trading up to and into the playoffs would open the door to an unfair advantage to teams that have done little to nothing all season to improve their team, winning just enough to sneak into the playoffs, then using next year’s draft to gather top talent to take the championship from owners that worked all year.

We all know what the trade deadline is, so we need to work all season to make trades to improve our teams before the deadline, not wait until teams are eliminated, then start stripping them bare of their final year top talent.

I will go with whatever the league decides, but would strongly oppose no trade deadline or even moving it to a later date.

Royal Hawaiian Opihi December 18th, 2020 03:00 PM

Appreciate your perspective.
However, I'd think that the league administrators would be able to veto any trade that comes across as undervaluing players.
Granted, we haven't had to do much of that... because this league rocks, and owners care, and everyone is playing to win.
Good points that should be brought up if and when this becomes a legit rule change issue. Thanks.

A Zombie Pirate I Be December 18th, 2020 03:43 PM

Agreed, this is a good group of owners, but even the most well intentioned owner would jump at the chance to "buy" a championship if he could. #Pirate

Preds December 18th, 2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Zombie Pirate I Be (Post 162489)
I would not suggest that any owner would dump players to stock another team. My concern would be that once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, all the final year contract players become basically worthless to that owner(except possibly for RFA).

Without a trade deadline, teams would be able to trade players up to and into the playoffs. This would encourage eliminated teams to trade players at a deflated price.

For example, a top positional player, whose usual value would be a first round pick is now valued by his owner as worthless (or possibly a 2.13 pick by letting him go during RFA). The eliminated team would be foolish not to trade his top positional players on a final year contract for second round picks. Basically, selling his players for under market value and stocking up on second round picks.

Yes, this does allow the eliminated teams to hopefully improve their teams the next season, but it also unfairly improves teams that are in the playoffs, by allowing them to add top positional players late and at a deflated price.

Owners work all off season and during the regular season to build and improve a team, only to watch eliminated teams trade players at under market value to their opponents. Trading up to and into the playoffs would open the door to an unfair advantage to teams that have done little to nothing all season to improve their team, winning just enough to sneak into the playoffs, then using next year’s draft to gather top talent to take the championship from owners that worked all year.

We all know what the trade deadline is, so we need to work all season to make trades to improve our teams before the deadline, not wait until teams are eliminated, then start stripping them bare of their final year top talent.

I will go with whatever the league decides, but would strongly oppose no trade deadline or even moving it to a later date.

I agree with Dave on this. Our trade deadline is already fairly late which provides teams with plenty of time to make moves for the playoffs or the following season. IMO, there is no reason to extend it further or eliminate it entirely.

Burt the Butcher December 19th, 2020 07:17 PM

I think it would be good to extend to end of season, but not into playoffs.

Liquid Swords December 26th, 2020 02:45 PM

I would like to see current IR rules changed. I personally would prefer going back to the original process - 4 week min, no need to return to AR. Anything but the current rules.

A Zombie Pirate I Be December 26th, 2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid Swords (Post 162552)
I would like to see current IR rules changed. I personally would prefer going back to the original process - 4 week min, no need to return to AR. Anything but the current rules.

To be sure I understand... If a player is IR eligible, he can be placed on IR and must stay in the Frenzy IR for a minimum of 4 weeks, but would be allowed to remain on the Frenzy IR for the full season - regardless of when his NFL team activates him off IR.

I would be ok with this, but would also like to review the criteria for adding a player to IR. Right now, "For a player to be put on IR he must be listed as Questionable, Doubtful or Out on MFL league site." I think, if we make the duration more lax, we need to remove the "Q" or "D" designation. A player would be eligible only if listed as "Out" OR "IR". There are too many players listed with a "Q" or "D" during the week - possibly leave "D" open, but definitely remove "Q" as an allowable IR designation..

Burt the Butcher December 26th, 2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Zombie Pirate I Be (Post 162553)
To be sure I understand... If a player is IR eligible, he can be placed on IR and must stay in the Frenzy IR for a minimum of 4 weeks, but would be allowed to remain on the Frenzy IR for the full season - regardless of when his NFL team activates him off IR.

Yes, this is how the rule was before the current changes.

I agree with Pat, and would prefer we go back to it. Number 1, less confusion. Number 2, does not require anyone to maintain any kind of list or timeline of when to 'cut' players if owner is in infraction.