Doggler is on a distinguished road
Default Greek Mythology League - Team Needs and Mock Draft

* indicates possible cap casualty

Barry Jive.
Returning:
-QB: Manning, Green
-RB: Barber, Rudi, George*
-WR: Horn, KRob
Biggest needs: a true stud RB and a 3rd WR.
Draft outlook: With the 1.5 pick in the draft, the best value might be at QB. However, this isn't a need area for Jeff. Perhaps Clarett or Perry will land in the right situation, but more likely, BJ will have his choice of any WR in the draft other than Fitzgerald. My guess: one of the Williams boys.
FA outlook: With only 1 year remaining on his contract, my guess is Eddie might be cut when we start the 2005 season. This move would give Jeff ~40 million or so to work with - definately enough to play for Moulds and the other FA WR's this offseason.

Doggler.
Returning:
-QB: Bulger, Pennington, Rattay
-RB: Tomlinson, Westbrook, Foster, C.Brown
-WR: Holt, Coles, Chambers, Ferguson, Driver
-TE: Clark
Biggest needs: a definitive RB2, WR prospect to replace Holt in 2005.
Draft outlook: 1.3/1.8 gives Doggler flexibility. Most people seem to think that Jones and Jackson will end up with starting gigs in Pit and NE. With both Scorpion and Dr J needing RB help, Fitzgerald might be available at 1.3. 1.8 could be interesting as well; Would it be too early to take Winslow? Will Manning still be available? Clarett would be a great talent to stuff on DS for a year or two. With no pressing need, expect Doggler to go with the best available player here.
FA outlook: Hard to predict. A lot depends on which rookies make it to the DS and what happens with Chris Brown. Was likely going to be a player in the Moulds sweepstakes, but the acquisistion of Coles made that move unneccessary.

Dr J.
Returning:
-QB: Brooks, Leftwich, Harrington*
-RB: ATrain*, TJones
-WR: Booker, Branch
-TE: Franks, Graham
Biggest needs: RB and WR talent of any form.
Draft outlook: With 3 of the first 13 picks (1.1, 1.4, and 2.1), the good Dr. will be able to begin laying the groundwork for his future. Most likely will grab best available RB/WR with 1.1/1.4. My guess is whichever RB goes to Pit and one of the Williams boys. 2.1 should still see some pretty talented WRs.
FA outlook: the Dr. is almost a stone cold lock to again get 1.1 in 2005. He's got 65 mil in dead cap for 2004, so he'll have issues signing vets to anything more than the minimum amount. Especially with him having to put 1-2 of his high-priced rookies active from the get-go.

Dunfee.
Returning:
-QB: Culepper, Plummer
-RB: Deuce, DDavis
-WR: Boldin, Burress, Boston
Biggest needs: overall depth.
Draft outlook: His fist pick being 1.7, Dunfee will have the freedom to go in any direction he chooses, although I think he'll shy away from QBs. His returning core is great, so he might be inclined to land a WR that he can stash on DS for a year or so.
FA outlook: Cash is tight for Dunfee, and I don't see any obvious cuts. Boston might go, but if SD signs Garcia or something crazy like that, he might hold on to him for one more year just to see what happens. I don't think Dunfee will be playing much in the FA pool this year.

Kris.
Returning:
-QB: Vick, Favre
-RB: Edge, Moe Williams, Dunn*
-WR: AJohnson, Warrick, Wayne, Walker
-TE: Heap
Biggest needs: RB.
Draft outlook: At 1.6, Kris will most definately feel compelled to grab a RB. Probably will take a less talented one that lands in a better situation (over someone like McGahee last year).
FA outlook: At first glance, Kris looks hamstrung. However, she can easily free up 30 mil or so by releasing Dunn and Troy Brown. She is absolutely set at WR, so I think she'll continue to address her shaky RB situation in FA.

NateMork.
Returning:
-QB: Brady
-RB: JLewis, Taylor, Garner*/Fargas
-WR: R.Moss, S.Smith, Lelie, D.Bennett
Biggest needs: QB, RB for the future.
Draft outlook: Will not be a major player, as his first pick is 2.8. He needs a TE with a pulse; depending on what type of situation Troupe goes to I could see him being available at 2.8.
FA outlook: What you see is what you get, as nate doesn't have much room under the cap. I expect him to either cut Garner or trade away either Taylor or Lewis.

Preds.
Returning:
-QB: McNabb, Bledsoe
-RB: Portis, Ahman, McGahee, maybe Griffin
-WR: C.Johnson, Toomer, McCardell
-TE: Crumpler
Biggest needs: WR.
Draft outlook: I for whatever reason see this years QBs sliding way down the 1st round. At 1.11, Preds just might be the one to take Manning/Roeth if they make it that far down.
FA outlook: Hard to say. Doesn't have too much room unless he lets some of his mediocre WRs (Keyshawn) go.

Scorpion.
Returning:
QB: McNair, Carr
RB: Duckett
WR: Owens, Rogers, S.Moss, Porter
Biggest needs: RB, RB, then RB.
Draft outlook: No choice but to draft Jackson or Jones(whoever DrJ most likely doesn't take) at 1.2. Wouldn't be suprised to see him go RB at 2.2 also.
FA outlook: Signing a 20 mil RB will take away much of his cap space. Special attention will need to be paid to the SD QB situation, as Brees still has 5 years (73 mil) left in his contract. Cutting Brees will only free 5 million, but if he's destined to be a career backup, that cut will probably come sooner as opposed to later.

Smithy.
Returning:
QB: Hasselbeck, Boller*
RB: S.Davis*, Henry, Shipp
WR: Harrison, DJax, Stallworth
TE: Shockey
Biggest needs: QB, RB.
Draft outlook: With both Davis and Henry in precarious situations, stephen might be inclined to stash a stud-rb-in-waiting on his roster with the 1.09 pick. However, he might have the luxury of taking the 1st QB off the board here. With Ramseys ???s and a seemingly expensive pricetag on Boller(DS), I could see stephen going QB here.
FA outlook: Will address whatever position he doesn't grab in the 1st round.

Skelly.
Returning:
QB: Collins, B.Johnson*
RB: Holmes, Alexander
WR: RSmith, JReed
TE: Gonzo
Biggest needs: QB, WR.
Draft outlook: First pick is 2.12. Will go with best avail WR here.
FA outlook: There is no doubt that Skelly will be making some significant cuts. He will be making a lot of 1 mil purchases and nothing more. I will be quite suprised if the defending champ manages to break 500 this year, as he won't have the room to address his VERY pressing needs at QB and WR.

Skippy.
Returning:
QB: Delhomme, Palmer, Garcia*, Warner*
RB: OSmith, Bennett, Faulk, Suggs
WR: Price, Muhammad
TE: Pollard
Biggest needs: QB, WR.
Draft outlook: 1.10 and 1.12 are inexpensive places to get good WR's. My inkling is that Skippy will either take 2 and stash them DS, or maybe take Winslow if he makes it to 1.10.
FA outlook: Will still need to address his WR situation with some sort of role player. If he can get a good one on the cheap, his squad could be pretty solid in 2004.

Topes.
Returning:
QB: Brunnell, Maddox*, Feidler*
RB: Ricky, Barlow, L.Jordan
WR: Ward, Mason, McCariens
Biggest needs: QB
Draft outlook: 2.4 might be a great place to snatch Phillip Rivers or JP Losman.
FA outlook: Unless he can move Ricky, Topes will probably be content signing some 3rd-tier RBs and WRs.
Doggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Doggler
SAC'D

Dogglers 1st round Mock Draft
1.1(Dr.J) - RB Kevin Jones
1.2(scorp) - RB Stephen Jackson
1.3(doggler) - WR Larry Fitzgerald
1.4(Dr.J) - WR Mike Williams
1.5(BJive) - WR Roy Williams
1.6(kris) - RB Chris Perry
1.7(dunfee) - WR Reggie Williams
1.8(doggler) - RB Maurice Clarett
1.9(smithy) - QB Eli Manning
1.10(skippy) - TE Kellen Winslow
1.11(preds) - QB Ben Roethlis#$@#$#@$
1.12(skippy) - WR Michael Clayton
Doggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

Interesting, however I have McNabb tied up for 4 more years and Belsblow for 3 so I don't feel an urgent need at the QB position, but I suppose anything is possible.

What I do know is that I intend to have McGahee ride out the DS another season, which makes my DS cap room only around 10 million. That all but eliminates a RB being drafted by me. A WR, especially in this draft is entierly possible.

What I anticipate most is trading the pick.

What I would like to know is why we can trade a pick this year for a pick next year? I understand not trading more than a year in advance beyond the following year, but why the restriction on trading a 2004 pick which is going to be used in May for a 2005 selection or selections? I see a trading a pick from this years draft for a pick next year as only trading a pick 1 year in advance. Am I missing something?

Not allowing the trading of current year draft picks for picks the subsuquent year is severly limiting IMO.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #4
Skippy the One Eyed Beagle

Quote:
Originally posted by Preds

What I would like to know is why we can trade a pick this year for a pick next year? I understand not trading more than a year in advance beyond the following year, but why the restriction on trading a 2004 pick which is going to be used in May for a 2005 selection or selections? I see a trading a pick from this years draft for a pick next year as only trading a pick 1 year in advance. Am I missing something?

Not allowing the trading of current year draft picks for picks the subsuquent year is severly limiting IMO.
The reason this rule is in place is to prevent an owner from trading away his future and then ditching the league and the new owner having nothing to work with.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #5
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy the One Eyed Beagle

The reason this rule is in place is to prevent an owner from trading away his future and then ditching the league and the new owner having nothing to work with.
I don't understand why trading a pick from this years draft after the season has ended for a pick next years is next years draft is problematic. Realistically your only trading 1 year in advance, which is no different than trading away a pick on September 1 for a player.

It just makes no sense to me. I mean, if we can trade for a 2005 pick the day after the draft ends, why can we do it prior to the draft?

Heck, you could even institute that draft picks can only be traded once the off-season for the next season has officially begun.

The limitations you've placed on trading picks just seems far too restricitive to me.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Doggler
SAC'D

Default Re: Team Needs and Mock Draft

Dogglers 1st round Mock Draft(updated)
1.1(Dr.J) - RB Stephen Jackson
1.2(scorp) - WR Larry Fitzgerald
1.3(doggler) - WR Mike Williams
1.4(Dr.J) - WR Roy Williams
1.5(BJive) - RB Kevin Jones