Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Newswire
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 9th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #1
The Immortal Ramirez
PredsFF.com Portal News Reporters

The Immortal Ramirez is on a distinguished road
Default Let the Feeding Frenzy Begin!!!!

inline imageHere we are sports fans. On the brink of the new football season. The weather is ideal…brisk air whipping it’s way into fall. You can smell the tailgates all over the nation. This is Tank D’Season reporting from his new beat, the Feeding Frenzy Football League.
After a busy off-season, hopes for the 2004 year are at a fever pitch. Each team feeling out their new players. Who will work. Who won’t. What sleeper is going to come through and which will flop. And that darn waiver wire keeps calling to you for that diamond in the rough who hasn’t been pawed over yet. Ahhh, football…

Okay, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty. Running backs, running backs, running backs. It’s all about those heroic few who charge into the line, knowing there are eleven guys on the other side just hoping to make the high-light reel at 11 with a killer tackle. But these few are the true determining factor.

I’m going start with the most anticipated game of the season: will the Parkwood Predators be knocked off their throne as Super Bowl Champions. The Opihi have a tough challenge facing the champions on their home turf as a grudge match of the 2003 Super Bowl. However, Preds are facing a team that has been waiting all season to get another shot at them. And with Bulger and Holt going up against a decimated Cardinals D, Royal Hawaiian has to be smiling. Henry has a chip on his shoulder and will be willing to show the NFL that he’s the #1 in Buffalo, but faces a sleeper DT in Jacksonville – who had preseason low for points allowed. Garner is ready to show his new team he still has some gas left in his tank and would like to return to 2002 form – to convince the coaches to leave him as the starter even when Pittman returns. Preds are relying on LT2 to pull them through another year, especially against a questionable Texans DT. While Barlow is ready to show the NFL he’s able to be an every down back against a Falcon team with his old DC as their HC. Preds will rely on the triplet of Ward, Moss (Santana) and Johnson (Andre) to pull in some massive points this week in all having good matchups, while Opihi will hope the Miami DB’s are not able to hold Mason as they’ve done in the past and go for at least one score. TE & K are both pretty even due to injury of Shockey slowing him down and questionable QB situation. However, I cannot go against what I feel is the most dominant DT in the Ravens. Outcome: Preds show their stuff in a close game: 132 to 128

We’ll head off the Mutts Stadium where they are welcoming the Soap Box Derby Cars for their season opener. This one features a couple of young RB’s being matched with an old faithful. Stephen Davis and Brian Westbrook look forward to knocking heads with Dominic Davis and Corey Dillon. Dillon is chomping at the bit to show he’s worth the move to NE, while Westbrook is ready to show he’s a featured back. No clear cut winner in this and I look forward to seeing how splitting time affects both Davis and Davis. At QB we have two lock-ins for Canton going against some tough DTs. However, both will be looking forward to seeing how the newly enforced ‘chuck’ rule will affect both DT’s known for ‘mugging’ the opposing WRs. Not sure here, but Manning has always struggled against the Pats DT. At WR, Cars are facing an uphill battle where Toomer & Johnson (Keyshawn) both are in flux w/ QBs, though KJ seems to like his old Jet partner, Vinny. I have to give this one to Mutts in testing TO’s new uniform against the G-men and young stud in coming, McCareins looking to make waves with his new team as well. Rice, well, how does the man keep going? Power to you Jerry, but you got some young bucks nipping at your heals. Once again, the DT and K are pretty even, but we need to see how the DB’s will handle the changes…Miami with the chuck rule and Eagles with their green DBs. Scarily enough, I think the WRs are going to make or break this game: I give this one to the underdog Mutts, seeing if they can change their ways from last year: 102 – 97

Next on the docket, Philadelphia Freedom traveling to the Indiana Undead. Everyone’s eyes will be on Priest Holmes as he travels to the thin air of Denver and their revamped DT. Can anyone keep that man from scoring touchdowns, I don’t think so. He teams up with fellow Undead Thomas Jones – who came on at the end of 2003 for some serious yards. He’s looking to show his new team what he’s made of and keep the A-Train in the station. They will be beating heads against Duece McAllister, potentially breaking into the top three RB’s this year, if he can keep the injury bug away. He’s relying on C-Mart – who has pledged a 1,500 yard, 10 td year in pre-season. The Bengals will be a good test for the ageless wonder. At QB, potential is the word. Both QB’s show huge promise, but both need to deliver in a big way this season. Freedom is looking for a little double dip between QB & WR. Undead is hoping the ‘chuck’ rule will free up Harrison and Bennett – otherwise both will be in for long games this week. Chad Johnson is ready to show it doesn’t matter who his QB is, he’s a top-flight WR. Freedom comes in with Bruce and Smith (Jimmy), who no matter what happens, they produce. Bruce, as stated earlier with Holt, is going up against the Cardinals and is poised for a big game. Freedom looks to undermine the Undead QB, by starting Charles Rogers in hopes that Harrington will go to his combo from last year.. For our first discrepancy, I have to go with Freedom’s K, who is looking forward to another perfect kicking season. Undead is hoping no one will notice they are forced to start their QB versus their DT. Ouch…that won’t help you out. Verdict: Freedom claws it’s way to it’s first victory this season: 116-108

The Liquid Swords and Toxic Waste do battle in Jersey for the start of their 2004 season. For Toxic Waste, it’s up to Eddie and Edge. James looks to be workhorse against NE due to the sloppy playing conditions. I expect him to regain his pre-injury form this year (especially being a contract year). Eddie will start off strong, but I think his days are numbered – yet, it’s questionable which MN DT will get on the field. Swords will be putting their best forward in Ahman Green. Conditions may be wet there as well, so we’ll see how his knee holds out. Davenport may get some time, plus Panthers front seven are tough. Kevin Jones makes his NFL debut against an unknown Bear DT. McNabb looks to have a great day against the Giants. He now has a serious #1 WR and threats also from TE & RB. Swords are sending who I feel will be the MVP of the league this year, Duante Culpepper on the field. Dallas DT is good, but Moss and Culpepper are going to be a frightful combination this year. At WR, Waste is a little weaker. Relying on Glenn, Muhammad & Wayne may not be his ideal line up due to the DT and weather they will be facing. Swords are not putting forth much better. Horn may not be top man in NO (he doesn’t know that yet) and Rod Smith is a great receiver, but just can’t separate from the defenders like he used to. And, I’m not even going to touch base about ANY Browns receivers (especially not against the Ravens…come on). Heap, on the other hand should have a great game as the Browns will do everything they possibly can to stop Jamal Lewis (and fail), which will open up huge holes for the TE. Wilkins and STL DT both should bring in some nice points against the sad Cardinals (sorry, Cardinals fans, just calling it as I see it). Swords are putting forth the Pats DT, which has done excellent against Manning in the past, but can they do it without mugging the receivers….hmmmm. I think this will also be a nail-biter. Swords pull it out on MNF: 124-118

The Bay Area Bloodsucking Insects will traveling to Happy Valley to face the Nittany Dodgers. The Insects will be setting forth a dominant RB duo in Alexander and Portis. Even though Clinton is going against a formidible TB DT, I think he will show why Washington wanted him so badly (that and Gibbs has talked about running a ton). Dodgers will be relying on motivation for their RB’s. Barber was threatened in pre-season by Ron Dayne racking up a majority of the carriers, but Barber is still the man – unless he continues his fumbling woes. However, even with Ted Washington, I think the Steelers O-Line will open up some holes for Staley to run free for a surprising score this week. Steve McNair is hoping the Miami DBs are watching their hands and hopes to have a huge game with both Mason & Bennett. But, we need to see how weather holds out. While Pennington on the other hand wants to show he’s underrated, even for a guy who threw for over 2,000 yards in only 10 games last year – and he has a second weapon now in McCareins. Coles, Robinson & Smith are a solid triplet. Each has potential to have a breakout game. I see Coles having best shot since TB will be concentrating on stopping Clinton. Meanwhile, Dodgers are going for speed. Price is looking forward to having Vick heave him the ball against the weaker 49er DT, while Burleson and Branch are both poised for excellent seasons (and games this week). I hate to make the comment, but I feel Ray Lewis is going to take off Winslow’s head, so I’m not sure what kinda game he’ll have. While Broncos DT will be focusing on stopping Priest, Gonzalez will rack up another awesome game at their expense. DT will determine by who wins the game between Steelers and Raiders (should be a head-knocker). Prediction: Insects take this one from Dodgers on their home turf – due to RB dominance: 110-105

Finally, the Urza’s Ragers face the Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers this week. Chasers will be looking for the Ben Gay after this weeks game, starting Tyrone Wheatley and Marshall Faulk. Wheatley actually may thrive in Norv Turner’s run-oriented schemes, but not sure how he’ll do against a tough Steeler’s run DT (passing would be easier vs Steelers). Faulk has rested most of the pre-season and will be fresh for a game against the lowly Cards. He will do well with at least one score if not two. However, he will not totally dominate in that Mike Martz is bound to give him a break and let Stephen Jackson get some reps once the game gets out of hand. Ragers are putting up a solid 1-2 punch for RBs. Jamal Lewis vs Browns (think back to 2003 and I don’t have to say much more). Fred Taylor, after two seasons, has finally lost the "fragile" stigma. He’ll be at home rushing against a pretty solid Buffalo team that presently is not overly concerned with Leftwich – who hasn’t lead a scoring drive in all preseason – so expect a stacked box. Stud in the making Matt Hasselbeck will lead the Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers on to a good game against NO. Ragers are placing their hopes in a hamstring…Michael Vick’s to be specific. If he can hold his body together, he should be in for a solid game against the 49ers. As per WR, the name is Moss, Randy Moss. With the New ‘chuck’ rule, Randy may break the 2,000 yrd barrier for a WR, and I think he’ll start this week. Stallworth and Burress will put up good numbers, but nothing to write home about. Meanwhile on the other side of the field, Urza’s going to set out of couple of Florida boys, Chambers and Galloway. Chambers scored 10 TDs last season and Fiedler is the starting QB, so he’s likely to do well. Galloway is ready to impress his new team down in TB. And, Moulds should be in for a good game, if the OL gives Bledsoe some time. Hate to break the news, but isn’t Anderson without a job presently (or did I miss something). Jacksonville is a sleeper DT, but they face Travis Henry and without a serious pass rush will give Bledsoe a chance to pick them apart. If they can get to Bledsoe, Jags DT will rock this game. KC is holding their breath (as is Urza) to see if Gunther’s return can lead them in a solid performance in Denver – without Clinton Portis, though, they may not have to hold it as long. Final score here: Randy Moss and Matt Hasselbeck have an awesome week, but it’s not enough for the Chasers: Ragers win on the legs of their RBs 130-116.

Well, folks, didn’t mean it to be this long, but there’s a lot to talk about. Come Tuesday, we’ll have the results and see how I did in my predictions. I’ll also get some commentary out on rookie draft 2004, trades, waiver wire use, etc. So, keep your eyes on the wire and read up on article by yours truly, Tank D’Season.

Last edited by Preds; September 9th, 2004 at 06:02 PM.
The Immortal Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

Flaxwless is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let the Feeding Frenzy Begin!!!!

Great write up and keep it up!

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
- 2nd Worst to First in Year!
2011 SAC'D Champions
- #5 seed, # 2 power rankings, #1 in the end!
Flaxwless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

nice work!!!
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #4
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

Wow... FANTASTIC.. very nicely done Steve! I hope I can be half as thorough and entertaining for the IFFL.

Just a great job Steve.

This independent beat reporter idea (originally proposed by Matt Marshall) may make these 5 leagues the most fun of any I've seen. This is just great. Brought me a smile on a difficult day.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road

This is great. Thanks for the effort and energy. Now here's to hoping you're right in your prediction (off too a rocky start after last night, but who knows what will happen over the next 4 days!). Thanks again!
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road

Awesome write ups, but if I'm within 5 points of the insects, I'll die of a heart attack.
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:34 PM   #7
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road

Someone get Brian a medic! STAT!

FYI for all you non believers out there the Ragers are going down like a $2 whore! BRING IT!

(by "going down" I mean they'll probably maul me with a pike or something......)
b
help?

Edit to add: Great writeup! This objective reporter idea was gold! GOLD!
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #8
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Excellent! But there was no mention of my secret weapon vs. Mike's Preds in week one... a cast-off, disrespected & disgruntled Ashlee Lelie will lead the OPIHI to an upset win over his former Predator teammates!

(hey, don't laugh... it could happen!)
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #9
The Immortal Ramirez
PredsFF.com Portal News Reporters

The Immortal Ramirez is on a distinguished road

um...you noticed that lack of Lelie...sadly enough I think the Broncos will notice that too. I don't see too much out of him this week (not that KC has a good D)
The Immortal Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Ramirez
um...you noticed that lack of Lelie...sadly enough I think the Broncos will notice that too. I don't see too much out of him this week (not that KC has a good D)
But when you're wrong (cross fingers) it will make one HECK of a story come Tuesday! :drinktoge
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote