Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > SAC'D - Shark Attack Contract Dynasty (a Frenzy league) > SAC'D Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Doggler
SAC'D

Doggler is on a distinguished road
Question Free Agent Pickups - an idea

So I ended up with my pants down this week - two of my 3 DLs had byes. I waited until this week to bid on one, and kept getting bumped. Not able to wait out a bidding war and not wanting to throw down a stupid expensive bid for a one week filler, I finally bid on another guy, but alas, about an hour too late for it to process in time. This is all on me, I get it.

Starting a lineup with inactive players - that's not good for anyone. Being unable to do anything about it with all sorts of time to think about it this morning, it got me wondering. What would the downside be to the following proposal?

Starting at 12:01AM on Sunday and ending after Monday night's game, free agents may be picked up immediately. Any free agent picked up during this window fill be subject to the following stipulations:
  1. the player will be signed to a 100 cb, 1 year contract.
  2. the player will return to the FA pool (no waiver period applied) at the conclusion of the week's games.
  3. the owner making the pickup is subject to any relevant cap penalties.

All sorts of stupid things can happen on game day. I can think of many other scenarios where it's possible to get screwed. Say you've got two kickers - one is on bye and the other one pulls his hammie during warmups. In most leagues, the recourse here is simple: drop someone, pick up a kicker, and all is good. We don't have that luxury in SAC'D. I hate to be that guy (well, ok, maybe I love being that guy) but I'm just coming in with a fresh perspective and wondering what ya'll think.
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Doggler
SAC'D

Default Re: Free Agent Pickups - an idea

Of course, if I'm the only one imbecile enough to struggle with making sure all my ducks are in a row, then this will be met with apathy at the very best, eh?
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #3
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

emerald is on a distinguished road

It is frustrating having last minute changes happen and you getting stuck without a quick fix. After getting stuck I have tried to have most positions covered with fill ins on Taxi or Practice Squads at the expense of deeper RB/WR benches so I can replace "in house". Don't beat yourself up though...it is only 1 spot in 1 week. I got the same points from injured DL Donte Fowler this week as your bye week player. I am sympathetic and usually available to take advantage of you with last minute, timely trades.
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

I would not have an objection to this new rule...only issue is how much work will it be for the commish, since we do not run automatic waivers...I would hope it would not happen often enough to be an issue.

How do we determine what is quick pick up vs just bidding on a guy ?
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Doggler
SAC'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
I would not have an objection to this new rule...only issue is how much work will it be for the commish, since we do not run automatic waivers...I would hope it would not happen often enough to be an issue.
Agreed, don't want to make more commish work. Here's my hunch - since SACD is all manually controlled by a commish, i.e. no waiver period, no FCFS period set up, etc, then opening up a FCFS period on Sundays is almost all that would need to happen. Of course, it would be on someone (commish? Owner?) to drop said player on say Tuesday, but that would be the extent of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
How do we determine what is quick pick up vs just bidding on a guy ?
That's the thing - if it's on a Sunday, there would be no bidding. If a guy is out there, he's out there. And he's going back into the pool when it's over.

Another question - what about FA's that are in the middle of a bid process at the time? I would think that any FA that is currently being bid upon shouldn't be eligible for pickup but haven't thought it through.
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Doggler
SAC'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald View Post
It is frustrating having last minute changes happen and you getting stuck without a quick fix. After getting stuck I have tried to have most positions covered with fill ins on Taxi or Practice Squads at the expense of deeper RB/WR benches so I can replace "in house". Don't beat yourself up though...it is only 1 spot in 1 week. I got the same points from injured DL Donte Fowler this week as your bye week player. I am sympathetic and usually available to take advantage of you with last minute, timely trades.
Yup, it behooves one to stay thin at all positions instead of loading up on WR and RB depth in this league, I've figured that much out.
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggler View Post

Another question - what about FA's that are in the middle of a bid process at the time? I would think that any FA that is currently being bid upon shouldn't be eligible for pickup but haven't thought it through.
Yep, which would cause issues with waiver wire run...it would allow anyone in the middle of bidding to be picked up...and inserted into lineup, and then dumped...
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Borderlander
SAC'D

Borderlander is on a distinguished road

To me this league seems to be built to try to mimic to some extent the experience of being a "real life" GM or owner. If that is the goal, then the I don't think picking up a player on a Sunday and dropping on a Monday fits within that feel.
Borderlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #9
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

Similar to Philly or Dallas not having a kicker during a real game after 1 play...deal with it...just looking in just in case this bleeds over to Frenzy...not a fan of the proposal...there are plenty of yahoo and cbs leagues where it is a free-for-all at all times...now this is great for players who have ample time to live on electric devices, but harder for us who spend our days on the golf course...or work, I guess, if you are into that...the real gm feel is why I prefer these leagues to the free-for-all stuff...my 2 cents...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Borderlander
SAC'D

Disclaimer: Honestly and sincerely not trying to be hostile here.

I totally understand the concern that a SAC'D rule may bleed over to Frenzy, but having folks that aren't in the actual league providing input/opinion on rules feels to me (and again, maybe just me) a bit like outside influence or biasing.

It's something I've seen a a number of time in the SAC'D rules discussion, and typically under the same rational of "stopping something from afar before it gets near." I get that there are a number of owners in both leagues. And again, to some extent I understand that if you're super against an idea, a "kill it at the root" strategy maybe has some appeal.

But for me, this feels like trying to apply influence into a game when your not currently one of the players. Which I'm not really a fan of. If I was Doggler and I was proposing a rule I really believed in, it would be challenging or potentially frustrating to not only have to convince my fellow owners, but also others as well.

Also consider, jumping on a rule discussion in the other league is a little disrespectful to our fellow owners in the league your actually in. Perhaps the rest of your league would all really like the rule you hate, but by trying to squash it out in order to prevent it from being discussed in your league, your attempting to prevent your fellow owners from having the opportunity to have that discussion and weight the merit on their own. Perhaps your unwittingly trying to maintain a status quo that only 1, 2, or 3 people actually enjoy by preventing it from being brought to the table?

I suppose this isn't something we can submit a rule on, but maybe just something we could all consider to think of as a general courtesy? That if we see the other league propose a rule we have strong feelings on but aren't a part of that we hold that opinion in until we see it popping up in the league we're currently in? I don't think a rule has to bleed into either side if that side doesn't want it.

Again, not trying to be a jerk or even actually respond to this specific time it has happened. Just something I've seen happen a number of times in the past as well and wanted to put my feeling on it out there.
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #11
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

A little background maybe Sam, would help her. At one point, we had several leagues in this forum. Mike (Preds in Frenzy) started all these leagues, and built these boards, many, many years ago. He create SAC'd last, to be close to a mirror of Frenzy, but with IDP's rather than DEF, and made some adjustments to cap and years to incorporate. Some differences were also added, like being able to renegotiate players.

So this is one reason we will try to pass the same rules in both leagues, if everyone feels the rules make the league better.

I don't have an issue with members of the 'other' league giving their two cents. They won't be getting a vote for sure, but post away.

I am still trying to get renegotiation allowed in Frenzy, and do away with the moronic 7 point home field advantage ;-)
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #12
Borderlander
SAC'D

Alright Burt, fair enough. To me if there is different owners in each league, it seems reasonable to expect them to drift apart, so I don't know that it really changes how I feel about it from an emotional standpoint. But I threw it out there and can respect the will of the league, so to speak.
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

FWIW SACD was designed to be more of flexible league with experiments in different rules that the Frenzy was opposed to. The Frenzy in general tends to stay strong to its initial roots, though some things of course change over time. SACD on the other hand, has always had more of a Wild Wild West approach to innovative rules. Sean's proposal fits with that in SACD IMO.

Last edited by Preds; December 11th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #14
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

Sorry...wasn't trying to ruffle feathers...I'll refrain from posting on your league forums...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #15
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Bounty Hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
Sorry...wasn't trying to ruffle feathers...I'll refrain from posting on your league forums...
Don't do it!! the refrain part.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote