Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar

Old March 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Popes
Feeding Frenzy

Popes is on a distinguished road
Default Move IR ending date to Apr 1 @ 12:00am - Passes 8-1

Currently the rules say the following (in the section "10. Injured Reserve"):

"By the start of the next rookie draft, each franchise must clear IR and have no more than sixteen [will update to 18] players on their roster."

I believe we need to change this to say "On Apr 1 @ 12:00am, all players still on IR will be automatically moved to the active roster. If a team doesn't have room on their active roster, they must make room within 24 hours or face penalties."

Here's why. As structured currently, teams with players on IR get an unfair cap salary cushion during the RFA period. Examples (I'll use myself, as I have two guys on IR and probably have the most to gain by the current system):

1. Mark Clayton is on my IR and only counting as $266 against my cap (rather than $531, his 2008 salary). By leaving him there through the entire RFA period, I have $265 more in cap space than I should really have.

2. Javon Walker is on my IR with an expiring contract. Let's say I plan to RFA tag him at the 2nd level ($1200). Since the rules don't specify otherwise, I can leave him on my IR through the RFA period and probably only count him as $600 (half his "salary").

This is a loophole we should close. When the season resets on April 1, everything should reset. IR guys shouldn't get an extra month of cushion. If anyone has some good arguments why we shouldn't change, please discuss here in the voting thread.

I would like to close this loophole before we hit RFA declaration time.

Last edited by Popes; March 31st, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Move IR ending date to March 31 - PLEASE VOTE

I voted yes as well, and I will be hurt by this with Caddy this season.

I never understood why we waited until the draft. The draft seems an arbitrary time frame to move players off IR. I think this should be aligned with the start of the new season. Injuries, along with contracts, cap penalties, etc, should all reset at the same time, the start of the new season.
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Popes
Feeding Frenzy

BTW, I forgot to make the poll results viewable when I created the poll. My bad. I don't seem to be able to change it now that it's done.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

Flaxwless is on a distinguished road

Voted for. Makes sense.

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
- 2nd Worst to First in Year!
2011 SAC'D Champions
- #5 seed, # 2 power rankings, #1 in the end!
Flaxwless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

I would like ot change my vote from "YES" to "NO" b/c after looking at the app I have realized why this rule was made in the 1st place.

If this rule is put into place teams would have to clear CAP SPACE and/or contract years to fit the IR players before the 2008 season. What this does is makes team cuts players that will affect cap space in both 2007 and 2008. Why is this unfair? B/c when you place a player on IR only half of their salary is counted BUT you only get 1 year to sign a FA player. If we implement this rule... we'd have to cut that 1 year replacement in order to bring the IR player back to active roster... which I believe is unfair as you would normally let that 1 year replacement expire but now owuld be forced to take a cap hit in 2008 for that replacement player.

I understand the intent of the rule and support it, but the contract year part is where it gets dicey.

I would be in favor of a rule that states....

Within 24 or 48 hours of the new year (April 1st or 2nd)... the IR must be cleared.

What this rule does is allows that replacement player contract year to expire (without taking any cap hits), yet still forces teams to clear cap space before RFA period begins. ALSO remeber that an RFAs tender value COUNTS against the cap.

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
2011 SAC'D Champions

Last edited by Flaxwless; March 16th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Amish
General Member

Amish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxwless
I would like ot change my vote from "YES" to "NO" b/c after looking at the app I have realized why this rule was made in the 1st place.

If this rule is put into place teams would have to clear CAP SPACE and/or contract years to fit the IR players before the 2008 season. What this does is makes team cuts players that will affect cap space in both 2007 and 2008. Why is this unfair? B/c when you place a player on IR only half of their salary is counted BUT you only get 1 year to sign a FA player. If we implement this rule... we'd have to cut that 1 year replacement in order to bring the IR player back to active roster... which I believe is unfair as you would normally let that 1 year replacement expire but now owuld be forced to take a cap hit in 2008 for that replacement player.

I understand the intent of the rule and support it, but the contract year part is where it gets dicey.

I would be in favor of a rule that states....

Within 24 or 48 hours of the new year (April 1st or 2nd)... the IR must be cleared.

What this rule does is allows that replacement player contract year to expire (without taking any cap hits), yet still forces teams to clear cap space before RFA period begins. ALSO remeber that an RFAs tender value COUNTS against the cap.
I like this idea by Frank.

The only thing I would say is make the date static like April 2nd. the IR must be cleared. In this way no bids on RFA's have expired and the IR is current for the year without allowing the advantage to the team to wait until the draft.

It saves a cut which I like.
Amish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #8
Popes
Feeding Frenzy

My bad. I simply put the wrong time in (off by 1 minute). The point here is for everything to happen simultaneously (have no fear, you don't have to cut the replacement player). The guys come off of IR at the exact same time that all the contracts decrease by one year. I was thinking that happened at 11:59pm on March 31, but it actually happens at 12:00am on April 1.

I will update the poll language. Let me know if anyone who has voted has a problem with that. Frank, with the corrected language, I assume I can leave you in the Yes column.

Last edited by Popes; March 17th, 2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #9
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popes
My bad. I simply put the wrong time in (off by 1 minute). The point here is for everything to happen simultaneously (have no fear, you don't have to cut the replacement player). The guys come off of IR at the exact same time that all the contracts decrease by one year. I was thinking that happened at 11:59pm on March 31, but it actually happens at 12:00am on April 1.

I will update the poll language. Let me know if anyone who has voted has a problem with that. Frank, with the corrected language, I assume I can leave you in the Yes column.
sounds good

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
2011 SAC'D Champions
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Popes
Feeding Frenzy

Default Re: Move IR ending date to Apr 1 @ 12:00am - PLEASE VOTE

FYI, I think the "each franchise must clear IR" language is a little ambiguous. In practice, any guys on the IR when the deadline hits are automatically kicked off and moved up to the active roster. I'm going to change the language to say that. If anyone has a problem with that, let me know.

Last edited by Popes; March 17th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Makes sense. And if a team doesn't have room on their active roster, they must make room within 24 hours or face penalties.

Quote:
FYI, I think the "each franchise must clear IR" language is a little ambiguous. In practice, any guys on the IR when the deadline hits are automatically kicked off and moved up to the active roster. I'm going to change the language to say that. If anyone has a problem with that, let me know.
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Flaxwless
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Nice. Seems like we got it right finally.

Bay Area Bloodsuckers

2008 SAC'D Champions
2011 SAC'D Champions
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Popes
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hawaiian Opihi
And if a team doesn't have room on their active roster, they must make room within 24 hours or face penalties.
Duly noted. That's the way it should work. I will add that language so that it's clear.

Last edited by Popes; March 28th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.