Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Poll: Eliminate the Trade Deadline?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Eliminate the Trade Deadline?

Old April 20th, 2021, 12:45 PM   #1
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road
Default FAILS 3-9 Eliminate the Trade Deadline?

Eliminate the current trade deadline date. Allow trades all year round

Last edited by Preds; May 13th, 2021 at 08:21 PM.
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Eliminate the Trade Deadline?

I don't understand this proposal. It would allow teams to make trades after the playoffs begin, even if their season is already over. Why? I see no good coming from this. For example say my Preds get eliminated week 16, and another team needs a QB for the week 17 championship game, so I send them Josh Allen in exchange for whatever compensation and wham bam they just bought themselves a potential championship at the last minute. Again, I just see no good coming from this idea.

I honestly feel that our week 13 trade deadline is sufficient.

Last edited by Preds; April 20th, 2021 at 03:04 PM.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 03:14 PM   #3
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

A Zombie Pirate I Be is on a distinguished road

I hate this rule. However if it passes, I will abuse it along with everyone else that wants to buy a championship with next years draft. :-)
A Zombie Pirate I Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 03:31 PM   #4
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Zombie Pirate I Be View Post
I hate this rule. However if it passes, I will abuse it along with everyone else that wants to buy a championship with next years draft. :-)

I can live with most of the other proposals either way, but I don't like this one at all.
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:04 PM   #5
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Why is it "buying" a championship in weeks 13-17 but not in 10, 11 and 12?

We should realize that it will be either helping your future or hurting it no matter when we make a trade.

What if I am a bottom team and want to make a trade with another bottom team? Right now I can't and this would allow that.

There are always a number of factors that can mess things up... Do we think the 3-9 team playing the 8-4 team is really "trying" to win? No, they are trading away players and putting some "questionable" talent in their line ups. Is this fair? Maybe maybe not, but it's dynasty and it's in the 3-9 teams best interest to get a better pick in order to help their team for the next year and be more competitive. We should always be trying to let everyone be more competitive from year to year and trading all season (IMO) allows that. Plus it is much more fun to keep all teams active toward the end of the season, especially those with not much to play for.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:09 PM   #6
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
I don't understand this proposal. It would allow teams to make trades after the playoffs begin, even if their season is already over. Why? I see no good coming from this. For example say my Preds get eliminated week 16, and another team needs a QB for the week 17 championship game, so I send them Josh Allen in exchange for whatever compensation and wham bam they just bought themselves a potential championship at the last minute. Again, I just see no good coming from this idea.

I honestly feel that our week 13 trade deadline is sufficient.

I could see once our regular season ends only teams IN the playoffs could trade with each other and only teams OUT of the playoffs could trade with each other. This would still allow all teams to be active if they chose to be.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:13 PM   #7
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

We had this conversation back in the regular season. Please go read the rationale (and objections) there. This rule can work in a league where everyone truly cares about their squad. Very few of us will ever intentionally tank. Even last season, when I realized my squad was already eliminated from post season... I sold off some of my talent in order to get draft picks to rebuild this year. If that's "buying a championship," well... so be it. I see it as smart management. And I kept a competitive squad right up to the end. Anyway... my
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchmego View Post
Do we think the 3-9 team playing the 8-4 team is really "trying" to win? No, they are trading away players and putting some "questionable" talent in their line ups.
FWIW despite trading away top talent last season, I never gave up putting the best lineup I could each week, whether it be by using UFA's, trades, TS/PS. As a result I ended up 5th, when I easily could have tanked and lost a few games intentionally. For the most part, I don't think teams in this league intentionally tank (though some have certainly not tried to better their team with UFA's when they could have). In those cases it comes down to managing the cap and it's impact on the following season when making moves in the softcap period.

As for eliminated teams being able to trade with each other, nothing stops that from happening. The only requirement is the deal can't be finalized and official until after the Championship game. That requirement shouldn't inhibit any eliminated teams as all eliminated teams have frozen rosters till that point, and nobody is at any sort of advantage.
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:50 PM   #9
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

A Zombie Pirate I Be is on a distinguished road

The question I would ask is Why does the NFL (and other sports) have a trade deadline if there are no negative impacts? It is because there is a negative impact to the league owners that work all year - making trades prior to the trade deadline or working UFA all season long to build a playoff/championship team.

I am not saying that teams don't care about their squad, but any owner with any sense would have to be open to trading any of his single contract year players for any offer. Basically, anything is better than nothing. Selling off a top tier WR for a late second round pick is better then putting him through RFA and getting at the most a later second round pick - even though that top tier WR might be valued at a first round pick in an early season trade.

Like I mentioned above, I do not like this rule change, but I am willing to work with any rule changes that are passed.
A Zombie Pirate I Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:53 PM   #10
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
The question I would ask is Why does the NFL (and other sports) have a trade deadline if there are no negative impacts? It is because there is a negative impact to the league owners that work all year - making trades prior to the trade deadline or working UFA all season long to build a playoff/championship team.

I am not saying that teams don't care about their squad, but any owner with any sense would have to be open to trading any of his single contract year players for any offer. Basically, anything is better than nothing. Selling off a top tier WR for a late second round pick is better then putting him through RFA and getting at the most a later second round pick - even though that top tier WR might be valued at a first round pick in an early season trade.
Well stated Dave.
Old April 20th, 2021, 05:50 PM   #11
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

(This is definitely not a "fall on my sword" rule for me, either!)
Old April 21st, 2021, 07:23 PM   #12
Ramsters
General Member

Ramsters is on a distinguished road
Dogs Re: Eliminate the Trade Deadline?

I vote no on this one. I think keeping playoff integrity intact is the priority here.
Ramsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Clearly this has been soundly defeated.