Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Newswire
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 14th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #1
The Immortal Ramirez
PredsFF.com Portal News Reporters

The Immortal Ramirez is on a distinguished road
Default Frenzy Week 1 Recap

Weeee-doggy. Is that not the reason we play this game. Week one showed a lot of things. Most of them, not what we expected…or if you did, you better get the list of horses ready. Talk about a lot of shocking things going on.

Let’s return to Parkwood and see how we did? Who would have thought that Carson Palmer would have been the best starting QB for Opihi? And, both Warrick Dunn and Emmitt Smith overshadowed Travis Henry and Charlie Garner. And, I need to apologize to Opihi’s, Lelie actually showed up (a bit – I’m still not sold on him). Meanwhile, across the field, Jeff Garcia outscored Aaron Brooks. Little did the Predators know Onterrio Smith was going to go off against Dallas. He chose well on his WR, though they didn’t perform up to expectations. Boo Williams (though there was a lot of hype – and even an article or two) didn’t have a good week either. However, most shocking to the NFL, what happened to the Ravens DT?? I know their offense put them in some back situations, but the Browns embarrassed you. The BROWNS, come on!. This was a much lower scoring game than I anticipated.

Prediction: Preds show their stuff in a close game: 132 to 128

** Actual: Preds crawled to a victory: 97.90 to 93.60 (a lot lower than I expected)

We’ll head off the Mutts Stadium where they welcomed the Soap Box Derby Cars for their season opener. Peyton Manning once again struggled a little against NE, but had a relatively solid game for the Cars. Meanwhile Westbrook did show that he can be a featured back in the NFL – with so much concentration on TO, it opened running lanes. However, Stephen Davis had a very off day vs Green Bay and didn’t help his team too much. The Cars WR’s performed well. Cars hoped they would since they don’t have a ton of depth there. Crumpler definitely stepped up and played his heart our for the team. While Miami DT was thrown off by the Saturday game and did not perform up to their billing (Washington would have done better). The Mutts on the other hand, were relying on the iron man, Brett Favre (who once again amazes me), but Brett had only an average game. Dominic Davis made me realize there won’t be many carries lost and he rolled on. Dillon also gave a good showing. Dillon was probably complaining to his HC and was put in the game instead of the amazing Quentin Griffin who blasted onto the field – Hate to see those on your bench. Even Chris Brown showed up Dillon, making him feel a little older. But, one of the show- stealers was TO – who went off for his new team. However Rice would have been a little better off, resting this one out and letting Antonio Bryant take his spot.

Prediction: Mutts - 102 – 97

** Actual: Cars: 116.75 fall to Mutts 128.20

Next on the docket, Philadelphia Freedom traveling to the Indiana Undead. Everyone’s eyes will be on Priest Holmes as he travels to the thin air of Denver and their revamped DT. Can anyone keep that man from scoring touchdowns, I don’t think so. It appears they can’t. In addition, fellow Undead Thomas Jones showed why Chicago wanted him. Harrington, however, was outplayed by the erratic Jake Plummer who was on the bench. Undead did rack up some points in Harrison, Johnson and Graham. However, Curtis Martin was not going to be outdone and scored over 40 points himself. The problem was, unlike Jones complimentary score, McAllister fell way shot in helping his team out. Isaac Bruce did try to make up some of the difference in scoring over 21 points. And talk about bad luck, Roger went out AGAIN with a another collarbone break (what’s with that guy?). Three bench suprises were Terrell, LJ Smith & Kaeding – who were all in double digits

Verdict: Freedom claws it’s way to it’s first victory this season: 116-108

** Actual score: Undead 147.50 – Freedom 131.10

The Liquid Swords and Toxic Waste do battle in Jersey for the start of their 2004 season. . Swords put forth a great effort with Culpepper racking up nearly 40 points. They’re hoping this a year-long trend. And their starting line up was excellently chosen, having the best players on the field…no regrets here. Ahman continued where he left off last year and rocked last night. NE DT did let them down with a less than stellar outting vs the Colts, while Randy McMichael stepped up to make up some of the difference. Toxic, was gloating under their own firepower of Donovan McNabb who is giddy about TO’s arrival. There’s no worries either since Brady, though on the bench, racked up 30+ points. James didn’t have the sloppy field, but racked up some yards, but Eddie may have help to limit his days as a starter – by having William Green (of all people) and Lamar Gordon both more than double his score. Terry Glenn & Muhsin Muhammad went to prove me wrong and had a solid game, but the rest of the WR didn’t step up like they had to. Heap and Wilkins pulled through as expected.

Prediction: Swords pull it out on MNF: 124-118

** Actual: Swords 155.70 (what a score!) down Waste 133.90

The Bay Area Bloodsucking Insects will traveling to Happy Valley to face the Nittany Dodgers. The Insects road the legs of Shaun Alexander and Clinton Portis. However, they are holding their breaths about the medical reports on Alexanders knees (initially just a strain). Now, if only the rest of their team could even score half of those two. It’s an ugly day when Rex Grossman outscores Steve McNair (oh, by the way, so did Boller and McCown – ouch). Worse yet, who would think a pair of WR in Baltimore-Browns game would outscore Coles & Robinson! And talk about WR woes, Insects also lost Steve Smith to a broken leg. Dodgers on the other hand hung to to Chad Pennington’s coat tail and he put up some solid numbers. Once again, someone always wants to prove me wrong. This time, Tiki Barber. He showed he could hold on to the ball and keep Ron Dayne on the bench. Staley is dying at three TD loses to Bettis, which really would have helped him out this week. Though Branch stepped up, Burleson and Price were lower than expected. And Gonzalez was held to nearly nothing.

Prediction: Insects take this one from Dodgers on their home turf – due to RB dominance: 110-105

** Actual score: Insect 122.95 squeak one out against Dodgers 122.55 (.40 difference!!!)

Finally, the Urza’s Ragers face the Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers this week. Urza went for the high risk, high reward of Michael Vick, not knowing that Drew Brees was going to outscore their starter (who would’ve guessed that). And on to stunning news, Jamal Lewis did NOT run for 200 yards against the Browns. In fact, I had to eat my words and apologize to Browns fans all over. Fred Taylor also let his team down in not performing up to expectations. Galloway’s injury at the beginning of the game was a disappointment for Urza as well. Speaking of being motivated by my comments, Marshall Faulk heard Stephen Jackson on his heels and toasted Arizona for a whopping 23 points. Moss, while still scoring two TD, had a pathetic 47 yards. No way to start the season. Wheatly, Stallworth and Burress all should have stayed home. Stunning stat of the day: Jerome Bettis: five carries, 1 yard, 3 TDs. Yeah, like anyone say that coming (which is why he was on Chasers bench). Another geriatric solid outing, Rich Gannon may have shown he’ll be a great backup to Hasselbeck by outscoring him this week.

Prediction: Ragers win on the legs of their RBs 130-116.

** Actual score: Ragers 77.95, Chasers 98.15

I ended the week 4-2, not the best start for the season. But, just like all the teams, it’s still early in the season.

Looks like I wasn’t the only one to be surprised this week. Owners have to be kicking themselves all week, while waiting for my post of next week’s predictions. Till then, I’m Tank D’Season, reviewing film and watching the waiver wire.

Last edited by The Immortal Ramirez; September 14th, 2004 at 09:57 AM.
The Immortal Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frenzy Week 1 Recap

Very nicely done Rami.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers
Feeding Frenzy

Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is on a distinguished road

Great work! Nice to see I snuck up and got an easy win.
Brain Dead Squirrel Chasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road

Yes, this one hurts. Losing Rogers and having Kaeding, Terrell and LJ on the bench is tough.

I went back and figured out that this was only the fifth time in 43 games I went over 130 points. Not only that I would have actually beaten either of my other divisional opponents.

Oh, well it looks like LJ and Terrell are going to be seeing some increased playing time here. Hopefully, I can get one of those ellusive division wins (since I am now standing, like John, at 3-16).

Nice review work BTW (did not mean to miss that in my pity party).

Last edited by Philadelphia Freedom; September 14th, 2004 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added thanks!
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote