Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar

Old June 19th, 2020, 05:22 PM   #31
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

A Zombie Pirate I Be is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Covid IR Spots

I like a combination of what is being said.
If a player goes out due to Covid:
The team owner can add a temporary replacement..
1) Replacement Player's Salary = Covid player's salary
2) Replacement player must be cut immediately after the Covid player returns
3) No Penalty will be assessed for cut replacement player
4) Replacement player will be added as a First Come First Served method
a) If a player is currently in the bid process, he is NOT eligible as a replacement
b) Added thread for the replacement must be started with “COVID” in the summary line
5) Replacement player cannot be cut for a different Replacement player

However, I am also open to adding additional IR slots or just leaving everything as is. I agree with Dale that we are all in the same boat and will probably all get hit. It just a matter of who will take the bigger hit.
A Zombie Pirate I Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 05:58 PM   #32
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Zombie Pirate I Be View Post
a) If a player is currently in the bid process, he is NOT eligible as a replacement
b) Added thread for the replacement must be started with “COVID” in the summary line

However, I am also open to adding additional IR slots or just leaving everything as is. I agree with Dale that we are all in the same boat and will probably all get hit. It just a matter of who will take the bigger hit.
I like all of this as well as Pat's idea to allow Covid bid replacements as First Come First Served after our weekly bidding period on Saturdays through gametime, with the caveat that a player currently still in bidding (carried over till Tuesday) is ineligible to be a FCFS Covid replacement.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 06:02 PM   #33
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
I like all of this as well as Pat's idea to allow Covid bid replacements as First Come First Served after our weekly bidding period on Saturdays through gametime, with the caveat that a player currently still in bidding (carried over till Tuesday) is ineligible to be a FCFS Covid replacement.
I like the FCFS idea in combination with all the other ideas brought up and summarized so well by Rick. FCFS Covid replacements from Saturdays till gametime would ensure some scrap could be picked up off the heap and started rather than putting up a definitive zero. Making the Covid replacement salary match the player out I think takes away the advantage of freeing up cap space on IR.

Plus nothing stops a team from regular UFA bidding during the week (without the Covid restrictions) if they have concerns about a player.
Old June 19th, 2020, 11:35 PM   #34
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

I could see how someone could "snag" a legit waiver wire player as a "COVID replacement" player (of course, they'd have to have a COVID player on their roster)... where the entire league might have actually wanted to bid on him for the week. So, that might be something we'd have to deal with if we continue down the "COVID replacement" path.
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 11:56 PM   #35
Scorpions
Administrator

Scorpions is on a distinguished road

I was responding to cards post not yous
Scorpions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:30 AM   #36
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hawaiian Opihi View Post
I could see how someone could "snag" a legit waiver wire player as a "COVID replacement" player (of course, they'd have to have a COVID player on their roster)... where the entire league might have actually wanted to bid on him for the week. So, that might be something we'd have to deal with if we continue down the "COVID replacement" path.
We could add a rule to the Covid replacement FCFS rule to start later in the week.
Current rules for In Season Free Agency state that weekly bidding starts Tuesday at 12:00am.
We could add a rule for Covid additions to start Thursday at 12:00am.
This would give time for everyone to start the bidding on the "players of the week" (locking the player out of the Covid Replacement position) and still gives time to cover Covid players before game time on Thursday.
Old June 21st, 2020, 01:06 PM   #37
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

emerald is on a distinguished road

Since we are spitballing I will throw this out there...

What if we "best balled" position of covid players team from unrostered Frenzy players.

We wouldn't be messing with current roster limits, salary cap or any permanent roster plans. Strictly a Covid related roster coverage band aid. Player returns and best ball option is removed. If anyone liked the covid replacement they can work them into existing free agent pick up system...

Some players the backups are rostered so best ball options are limited (Dallas, New England, and San Francisco come to mind) but as Dale said...we are all pretty much in the same boat.

Part of the appeal of best ball is IF they play the game someone will man the position. Trying to guess which back up will be cleared and be the most successful would be a frustrating experience!!!

Last edited by emerald; June 21st, 2020 at 01:54 PM.
emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:58 PM   #38
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

interesting concept. I'd be wiling to explore it. I'm guessing it would be just for the same team. So if you have Zeke... and he's still COVID-19 positive in week one... then you could choose to go with "best ball" from the Dallas RBs who are Frenzy unrostered? Got it.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 08:21 AM   #39
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

I'm open to anything that is decided, but think "Best Ball" could either provide the Covid player's owner possible advantage or defeat the purpose regarding fielding a competitive team.

Example1... Michael Thomas gets Covid, you know Brees is still airing it out, but no telling who will be his WR of the day (outside of possibly Sanders). If BB is used, that could give the Thomas owner a big advantage. Whichever WR Brees targets that day could be huge and it could be different for the 2-3 week's Thomas is sidelined - but each week the Covid owner benefits.

Example2... Rodgers goes out due to Covid, another player could step in and grab the back QB. Rodgers owner's second QB is on a bye. In this case, the Rodger's owner is back to not having a starter at QB.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 10:11 AM   #40
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

My suggestion is that the Covid best ball option be the fall back choice if traditional replacement weekly line up plan is less attractive. The best ball path isn’t going to be the only way to go. In the 2 examples is replacing Michael Thomas with the unknown receiver that blows up an unfair advantage? While it could happen isn’t it more likely that the healthy rostered starter would have scored as much if not held out. In the 2nd I can respond since I own Rodgers. My other active rostered QB has a week 5 bye. I suspect that someone else will have JLove rostered so if Rodgers was Covid held out week 5 my Covid option would be Green Bay’s unrostered 3rd qb. If someone wanted to block me by picking up that player then I would let them have him and either go after another free agent player or most likely promote Taxi QB DHaskins and pay the 5 cb per week penalty to demote him when Aaron returns.
If we went with Covid best ball as an option I could see that being an option after the weekly free agent bidding closed before NFL that week’s games started.
Again, I’m just throwing this out there as a temporary option during this Covid situation.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 11:00 AM   #41
Preds
*****istrator

I think Best Ball replacement will be too complicated.

I'm good with Pat's suggestion of First Come First Served on any player not under bidding beginning Saturday through the replaced players gametime that week. I would further suggest the opening of FCFS be set at something like noon ET (to avoid giving a time advantage to either East or West Coast).

This FCFS method will exclude players involved in Thursday games, but it's better than having FCFS interfere with our weekly bidding. Further, teams who lose players in Thursday games will still have plenty of time to exercise the ability to utilize utilize standard IR and fill their open slot either with bidding on UFAs Thursday night through Friday night, and/or enough time promote TS/PS players if available to fill the open slot.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 11:06 AM   #42
Preds
*****istrator

My proposal would be basically what Rick laid out with minor modifications:

The team owner can add a temporary replacement:
1) Replacement player will be added as a First Come First Served (FCFS) method FCFS UFA pickups will begin Saturdays at noon through the Covid players gametime that week. In weeks where there are Saturday games, FCFS will open at 10 AM ET
2) Replacement Player's Salary = Covid player's salary
3) Replacement player must be cut immediately after the Covid player returns
4) No Penalty will be assessed for cut replacement player
5) Cut replacement player will NOT be eligible for waivers
6) If a player is currently in the bid process, he is NOT eligible as a replacement
7) Added thread for the replacement must be started with “COVID” in the summary line
8) Injured COVID player must be listed in their own thread and labeled COVID
9) Replacement player cannot be cut for a different Replacement player

Last edited by Preds; June 22nd, 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 11:25 AM   #43
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

I like Pred's suggestion.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 11:57 AM   #44
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:

1) Replacement player will be added as a First Come First Served (FCFS) method FCFS UFA pickups will begin Saturdays at noon through the Covid players gametime that week. In weeks where there are Saturday games, FCFS will open at 10 AM ET
6) If a player is currently in the bid process, he is NOT eligible as a replacement
7) Added thread for the replacement must be started with “COVID” in the summary line
I could live with this!

Last edited by Preds; June 22nd, 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 12:23 PM   #45
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

So how do you qualify a COVID player that needs replacing? do they have to be out with positive test, or just out due to testing happening?

And will there be a timeframe to get replacement?
If a player is covid, and will be out unknown time frame, can I pick up a player this way two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, etc. from the time he goes out?

What if the covid player is already on IR with a different injury? Can I pick up a player this way stating covid reason?
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2020, 01:58 PM   #46
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
So how do you qualify a COVID player that needs replacing? do they have to be out with positive test, or just out due to testing happening?

And will there be a timeframe to get replacement?
If a player is covid, and will be out unknown time frame, can I pick up a player this way two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, etc. from the time he goes out?

What if the covid player is already on IR with a different injury? Can I pick up a player this way stating covid reason?
IMO any player out for isolation/quarantine for either being positive or exposed to the virus. For example, the Clemson Tigers have 23 players from the football team in isolation due to testing positive, and close contacts of these players such as roommate have been asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. I have to think the NFL will have some sort of tag for impacted players, they may not call it COVID because of HIPAA, though with the collective bargaining agreement, they will have to indicate when a player is going to be out, and I'm sure the media will be quick to grasp the likely suspects.

Also whatever replacement you pickup would be for the duration the Covid player is out. A player already on IR would not be relevant as you are not replacing someone on your active roster. Same goes for the TS or PS.

Last edited by Preds; June 22nd, 2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 04:29 PM   #47
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

What about dropping COVID replacement for Player A after week 1 and adding a different replacement player for Player A for week 2/week 3/etc. to play matchups and not have to worry about replacement player bye if it happens to be on week 2?
Liquid Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2020, 04:45 PM   #48
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Swords View Post
What about dropping COVID replacement for Player A after week 1 and adding a different replacement player for Player A for week 2/week 3/etc. to play matchups and not have to worry about replacement player bye if it happens to be on week 2?
Rick's proposal excluded that option so I went with the flow when I put in my suggestions integrating your FCFS option. It's something we can discuss. If there's enough support for it, I'm sure it can be worked in, though IMO these players would still be limited to Saturday FCFS pickups.

I'm sure there's other scenarios we haven't envisioned thus far as well, such as what if the replacement player gets hurt, or contract's COVID himself, etc. All of this is why addressing this now is better than later. If Covid doesn't rear it's ugly head nothing will be impacted, but if it does, at least we have a plan to try and keep competitive balance.

BTW, going back to best ball, one way we could integrate that if FCFS doesn't fly, would be t0 best ball players out for Covid based on the teams active roster and giving the highest points from a player that wasn't started within the skill position options for any valid lineup.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 06:11 PM   #49
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:

Actually, I (David) summarized this a few days ago and did include cutting a replacement player for a different player. See #9. States that you cannot drop and add replacement players.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 07:25 PM   #50
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Yeah. I would have issue with not being able to drop a replacement player to replace with another each week (Saturday). What if that player gets injured, or is diagnosed with COVID after you pick them up and before their game that week, or if they are on bye the following week, etc?
Old June 22nd, 2020, 08:41 PM   #51
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

So are you saying your team wants an advantage for having a Covid identified player??? Being able to rotate players in and out of your roster as you see fit isn’t a fair use of Covid situation...I say this because there wasn’t a mention of penalties accrued or salary hits for constant cuts...please, feel free to explain more...if you just want freedom to drop a Covid replacement - well that and other moves should follow standard cap penalties...imo...hell, I might even force you to drop your original Covid player as a cap penalty too...thus may be getting out of hand...maybe...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2020, 09:01 PM   #52
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

So if you cut a Covid player, do they immediately become available for FCFS? What about normal cuts on Fridays or Saturdays... Do they go through normal waivers? If yes to both, who is going to keep track of that? I don't MFL can handle it both ways.
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2020, 09:25 PM   #53
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
So if you cut a Covid player, do they immediately become available for FCFS? What about normal cuts on Fridays or Saturdays... Do they go through normal waivers? If yes to both, who is going to keep track of that? I don't MFL can handle it both ways.
No waivers for Covid replacement players. Straight back to the pool of players.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 09:27 PM   #54
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Actually, I (David) summarized this a few days ago and did include cutting a replacement player for a different player. See #9. States that you cannot drop and add replacement players.
Sorry David. I originally said it was you with the summary, and then saw Rick started the thread and confused myself and changed my reference to him!
Old June 22nd, 2020, 09:42 PM   #55
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Settle down, Chuck. Just a conversation with legit questions and potential scenarios. So what happens when you get COVID replacement on Saturday and then come later that day or Sunday morning that replacement tests positive for COVID? Do you just suck it up and take a potential goose egg? What about byes for replacements? I think it's worth discussing, not just dismissing. Everyone would be in the same boat. There's no one team having an advantage over another.
Old June 22nd, 2020, 10:51 PM   #56
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

I think your already at a loss if you are missing a player(s) due to covid. If we wait until Saturday to pick up a player, and all the "good" players are being bid on, there is not much of an advantage. It's not like you would get to pick through the best available players prior to regular free agent bidding. You are just trying to recover a some points and not take a zero.

We are all in this to have fun. It's not like we have big $$$ on the line. We should try to keep it as competitive and fair as possible while still having FUN.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 06:42 AM   #57
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchmego View Post
I think your already at a loss if you are missing a player(s) due to covid. If we wait until Saturday to pick up a player, and all the "good" players are being bid on, there is not much of an advantage. It's not like you would get to pick through the best available players prior to regular free agent bidding. You are just trying to recover a some points and not take a zero.

We are all in this to have fun. It's not like we have big $$$ on the line. We should try to keep it as competitive and fair as possible while still having FUN.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 08:55 AM   #58
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

Due to this being a unique situation, we could make this simple…

Open all non-rostered (non-active bid) players as possible replacements. If you have a player out due to Covid, add a note in the Comments for your lineup regarding the replacement:
– COVID PLAYER: POS, Players Name, TEAM
– REPLACEMENT: POS, Players Name, TEAM

The replacement players will need to be declared after Saturday mid-night (after free agency bidding stops for the week)
Thursday and Saturday players will not be eligible.

This might mean that an NFL player could be playing on multiple teams that week, but this is a unique situation and as Rick stated, this is all for fun – so let’s keep it simple..
Old June 23rd, 2020, 08:55 AM   #59
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

If we are waiting until that late in the week to do Covid replacements then I don’t think Covid is the problem on that particular player, but I guess it could at some point...I’m just not down with giving even more breaks on the replacements with no Covid and no penalties ie bye week consideration...
I’m calm...chive on...lol (saw it on a shirt)

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 10:12 AM   #60
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Due to this being a unique situation, we could make this simple…

Open all non-rostered (non-active bid) players as possible replacements. If you have a player out due to Covid, add a note in the Comments for your lineup regarding the replacement:
– COVID PLAYER: POS, Players Name, TEAM
– REPLACEMENT: POS, Players Name, TEAM

The replacement players will need to be declared after Saturday mid-night (after free agency bidding stops for the week)
Thursday and Saturday players will not be eligible.

This might mean that an NFL player could be playing on multiple teams that week, but this is a unique situation and as Rick stated, this is all for fun – so let’s keep it simple..
Pretty sure MFL cannot handle that.