Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > SAC'D - Shark Attack Contract Dynasty (a Frenzy league) > SAC'D Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road
Default RFA Tender levels, just to get the conversation started

Obviously I'm not trying to get anything decided here and now, but I figured I'd throw this out just to get my thoughts saved for posterity, and lay the foundation for later discussion.

The following is my proposal for the 2006 RFA tender levels. This is based on analyzing current salary levels and comparing them to the Frenzy salary levels and Frenzy RFA levels. Justification will follow:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th

QBs 1700 1275 850 425

RBs 3300 2475 1650 825

WRs 2000 1500 1000 500

TEs 1100 825 550 275

K 500 375 250 125

DL 775 575 375 200

LB 1000 750 500 250

DB 750 575 375 200

Position by position discussion

Quarterbacks. The current Frenzy QB 1st round tender level is 1200. Currently, there are only three quarterbacks making that salary, Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, and Donovan McNabb. I think that is about perfect, as the cream of the positional crop is who should be given 1st round tenders. A tender level of 1700 would be at the same place, with only the same three quarterbacks making above that level, and it is still below the WR tender levels.

Running backs. The current Frenzy RB 1st round tender level is 2000, which most Frenzy members agree is a little low. Currently 7 RBs make that amount or higher (Tomlinson, McAllister, Edge, Tiki, Alexander, Ahman, and Priest). Until recently being released, Curtis Martin was also in that group. A tender level at 3300 for RBs would have 7 RBs currently above the 1st round tender level.

Wide Receivers. The current Frenzy WR 1st round tender level is 1300, which most people in the Frenzy agree to be too low. Ten wide receivers make that or more in the Frenzy currently. Again, the 1st round tender level should be for the top tier players. A tender level of 2000 would put most people’s consensus top 5 receivers above that level (Moss, Owens, C Johnson, Holt and Harrison).

Tight Ends. The current Frenzy TE 1st round tender level is 750. Only one tight end (Gonzo) makes more than that. However, Gates was signed prior to his explosion last season, Heap’s injury status was unclear when he was available, and I believe Shockey was in a similar uncertain status. Even so, is any tight end below the Gonzo/Gates tier worthy of receiving a 1st round supplemental pick if lost in restricted free agency? I do not think so. A 1st round tender level of 1100 would put it below the salaries of Gonzo and Gates, and just above Witten, Shockey, and Heap.

Kickers. The current Frenzy K 1st round tender level is 400. No kicker has reached that level, as the thinking it we have not seen a kicker yet worthy of receiving 1st round compensation. A 1st round tender level of 500 would put that significantly above the highest salary for a SAC’D kicker.

Defensive Line. Since we do not have IDPs in the Frenzy, I had to use my own judgement with IDPs. The IDP veterans may have more input on this subject. However, my first question when determining levels was “which players would deserve first round compensation if lost in restricted free agency?” The first defensive line player was not selected in the 2005 SAC’D rookie draft until the 3rd pick in the 5th round. Only two defensive linemen were selected in the entire draft. To me, it would seem, is that the rare defensive linemen would deserve 1st round compensation. A 1st round tender level at 775 would have only Kevin Williams at that salary point. It seems more appropriate that if Defensive Lineman are tagged RFA, the later round levels would be more appropriate.

Linebackers. Again, with no Frenzy comparions, I had to get creative. Again, looking at the draft, the first linebacker was selected at 2.5, but granted, there was not a top notch middle linebacker available in this draft (at the time of the draft anyway). Since a Ray Lewis, or Brian Urlacher might garner a first or early 2nd round selection, it would seem these players at established veterans should make more than a 1st round tender. A 1st round tender level at 1000 would put Lewis, Donnie Edwards, Vilma, and Urlacher above that, and with the amount of the cap spent on offense likely to decline, more players will probably move above this level.

Defensive backs. Again, with not Frenzy comparisons, the question is “who deserves 1st round compensation?” A 1st round tender level of 900 would put 2 players above that level currently. Most defensive backs, with few exceptions, will probably be worthy of 1st round compensation.
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Skippy the One Eyed Beagle

Default Re: RFA Tender levels, just to get the conversation started

I think the defensive players are a little high - unless the goal is that no defensive player will ever have a round 1 tender level slapped on him. Others seem pretty good.

Whatever we decide, I think we should revisit it again a year later. Just to make sure the levels are in line with what we want.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with the IDP tenders, rarely does an IDP warrant 1st round consideration.

The IOP's, however, IMO are too high. I expect to see a decline in IOP salaries next year. We are way overpaying RB's and WR's.

I could see maybe 1600 for QB's, 3000 for RB's, and 1800 for WR's as a starting point for 1st round comps.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy the One Eyed Beagle
I think the defensive players are a little high - unless the goal is that no defensive player will ever have a round 1 tender level slapped on him. Others seem pretty good.

Whatever we decide, I think we should revisit it again a year later. Just to make sure the levels are in line with what we want.
You don't think a Ray Lewis, or Brian Urlacher will get a first round tender at this level? They are already making more than 1000, and my impression is that the top level of defensive salaries will rise next year. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Also, as we experienced in the Frenzy, it is better to have too few 1st round tenders offered than too many. What we want to avoid is having the tender levels so low that every Tom, Dick, and Harry gets a 1st round tender slapped on him. That greatly waters down the value of draft picks when we start handing out a bunch picks between the first and second round.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM   #5
Skippy the One Eyed Beagle

I guess if we are expecting the offensive players salaries to go down the defensive ones should go up right?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM   #6
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds
I have no problem with the IDP tenders, rarely does an IDP warrant 1st round consideration.

The IOP's, however, IMO are too high. I expect to see a decline in IOP salaries next year. We are way overpaying RB's and WR's.

I could see maybe 1600 for QB's, 3000 for RB's, and 1800 for WR's as a starting point for 1st round comps.
You may be right, but I'd rather start them too high and bring them down, then start them too low, hand out a bunch of picks, and then have to raise them.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany Dodgers
You may be right, but I'd rather start them too high and bring them down, then start them too low, hand out a bunch of picks, and then have to raise them.
Damn... I actually agree with you on something! I can get on board with the numbers you propose, as long as we keep in mind Skippy's suggestion to re-evaluate things prior to 2007.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #8
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds
Damn... I actually agree with you on something! I can get on board with the numbers you propose, as long as we keep in mind Skippy's suggestion to re-evaluate things prior to 2007.
I'm all for re-evaluating.

Edited to add, I just saw a pig fly, and the weather reports for Hell forcast snow.