Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > SAC'D - Shark Attack Contract Dynasty (a Frenzy league) > SAC'D Trading Block
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar

Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Nittany Dodgers is on a distinguished road
Default Gunslingers and Dodgers Trade

Dodgers send:
Chad Jackson
2009 6th Round pick

Gunslingers send:
2009 conditional draft pick. The pick will be their 2nd round pick, unless Jackson finishes in the top 20 among WRs, then the pick will be their 1st round pick.
2009 5th round pick

Gunslingers to confirm
Nittany Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gunslingers and Dodgers Trade

Wow! A 2nd round pick for a guy who may not even start? Was Matt thinking he was getting Chad JOHNson?
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
PencilGeeks
General Member

PencilGeeks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher
Wow! A 2nd round pick for a guy who may not even start? Was Matt thinking he was getting Chad JOHNson?
No kidding eh? He must have 'Man Crush' on that guy!

"They got exits covered. All the exits underground.
I wish I could figure it out. But the world's upside down" - Foals
PencilGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Philadelphia Freedom is on a distinguished road

Confirmed.

Jackson is risk but the reward could be huge in that offense. He is actually younger than a couple of the WR's drafted this year and he looks to be putting himself in a position for the number two role this year. At 23 years old that puts in a position to move to a number one role for Pats in the next couple of years (and next year I can reneg his Frenzy contract if he makes the progress I expect).

In terms of the price, having acquired an extra third rounder for some late picks this year I feel comfortable guaranteeing a second (the later pick swap did not really factor in to my decision) and hope that I am going to be giving Brian a first because he finishes in the Top 20. He adds yet another young talented (and cheap WR) to the Gunslinger stable and with the way WR’s are getting priced I think that could be a big plus down the line.

As for the "man crush" I am a big Pats fan so out of district homerism may be playing a part here but I think he will be a high ROI guy when all is said and done.
Philadelphia Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Valley Avengers
General Member

Valley Avengers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher
What are you talking about - Chad JOHNson might not start either.

I'll quietly return to the frenzy corner now - we have nothing going on now, so we have to live vicariously through SAC'D.

Valley Avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

I have high hopes for Jackson, and didn't eagerly part with him. However, I felt a 2nd was good compensation, and I figured an extra 2nd round pick would come in handy in case and Penn State linebackers get drafted next year.
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #7
PencilGeeks
General Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Freedom
Confirmed.

Jackson is risk but the reward could be huge in that offense. He is actually younger than a couple of the WR's drafted this year and he looks to be putting himself in a position for the number two role this year. At 23 years old that puts in a position to move to a number one role for Pats in the next couple of years (and next year I can reneg his Frenzy contract if he makes the progress I expect).

In terms of the price, having acquired an extra third rounder for some late picks this year I feel comfortable guaranteeing a second (the later pick swap did not really factor in to my decision) and hope that I am going to be giving Brian a first because he finishes in the Top 20. He adds yet another young talented (and cheap WR) to the Gunslinger stable and with the way WR’s are getting priced I think that could be a big plus down the line.

As for the "man crush" I am a big Pats fan so out of district homerism may be playing a part here but I think he will be a high ROI guy when all is said and done.
Is Chad Jackson finally healthy? I'm not holding my breath either! ;) "Patriots WR Chad Jackson, their 2nd round pick in 2006, has been performing well in OTAs. He's coming off a torn ACL. Before that he had serious groin and hamstring injuries -- so we won't hold our breath. Right now Jabar Gaffney is the clear-cut #3 WR on this team."

Old May 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #8
pacificscrub
SAC'D

pacificscrub is on a distinguished road

Is it too late to point out that Philly basically got RAPED on this deal? Just curious.
pacificscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeeks
Is Chad Jackson finally healthy? I'm not holding my breath either! ;) "Patriots WR Chad Jackson, their 2nd round pick in 2006, has been performing well in OTAs. He's coming off a torn ACL. Before that he had serious groin and hamstring injuries -- so we won't hold our breath. Right now Jabar Gaffney is the clear-cut #3 WR on this team."
That's the most important thing right there. If he's healthy, the player in front of him is Jabar Gaffney. All he'd have to do is beat him out and he's #3 WR on a high powered offense.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #10
pacificscrub
SAC'D

I'm curious. How many #3 receivers are worth a 2nd round pick (plus swapping picks in the 5th/6th), even on high-powered offenses? Brady spreads the ball around very effectively and with Moss the primary guy and Welker needing to be used to prevent offenses from keying completely on Moss, how often is Jackson even going to have the opportunity to get 100yds receiving in a game? 2-3 times a year? All of this assumes all of the IF's are overcome (if healthy, if passes Gaffney, if Brady looks his way more than 2-3 times a game...). I think that's both too high a price to pay and a very high risk to take on for marginal reward potential.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #11
PencilGeeks
General Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificscrub
Is it too late to point out that Philly basically got RAPED on this deal? Just curious.
Heheheh... My plan has worked to perfection!! Hell, I was just trying to keep from falling asleep waiting for the last round to get started!!

Old May 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #12
Nittany Dodgers
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificscrub
I'm curious. How many #3 receivers are worth a 2nd round pick (plus swapping picks in the 5th/6th), even on high-powered offenses? Brady spreads the ball around very effectively and with Moss the primary guy and Welker needing to be used to prevent offenses from keying completely on Moss, how often is Jackson even going to have the opportunity to get 100yds receiving in a game? 2-3 times a year? All of this assumes all of the IF's are overcome (if healthy, if passes Gaffney, if Brady looks his way more than 2-3 times a game...). I think that's both too high a price to pay and a very high risk to take on for marginal reward potential.
Well, to play devil's advocate I'd say that this wasn't a trade done with 2008 in mind. Moss is old and Jackson is young. If all the if's come true, and assuming Jackson is the #3 going into the season, or during the season at some point, it would be reasonable to assume that he would be in line to take over a more featured role when Moss declines.

But, I'd agree all of the ifs add up to more than a 2nd, which is why I traded for the 2nd.
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #13
Shader
General Member

Shader is on a distinguished road

Well it's an interesting trade that's for sure.

I think one thing is clear:

There's not much risk that Chad Jackson will be in the top 20 of receivers this year, so your first rounder is probably safe.
Shader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
There's not much risk that Chad Jackson will be in the top 20 of receivers this year, so your first rounder is probably safe.
I think he will finish in the top 36 (meaning he is a viable starting WR for FF purposes). Plus at 23 he has (hopefully) a lot of good years of him and the cost of second round pick for a guy that I can lock up under market value for years is worth it to me.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #15
pacificscrub
SAC'D

Great logic except for the top 36 part. He MIGHT outscore the top wideout on one or two teams, but that means there are already 30 wideouts ahead of him. He's also not going to outperform guys like Anquan Boldin, Anthony Gonzalez/Marvin Harrison, Santonio Holmes, Wes Welker, Bobby Engraham/Dion Branch, Vince Jackson, or Laveranues Coles. The list is rather long. I'd be willing to bet he isn't in the top 50. Then again, I don't think he's going to be the long-term answer in New England, so I think this is the equivalent of donating your 2nd to a competitor. I'll be happy to say I was wrong both at the end of 2008 and 2010 if things pan out like you're hoping, but I'm really not too worried about eating crow.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #16
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

Well since I had acquired a 2009 third for two picks that I did not want/need this year the risk reward (again I kind of rolled both deals together) does not seem all that great.
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Philadelphia Freedom
Feeding Frenzy

2009 Draft pick(s) traded