Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Poll: Runoff vote 2 for 2018 Schedule (pick your poison)
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Runoff vote 2 for 2018 Schedule (pick your poison)

Old May 19th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default Option 1 Passes 7 to 5 - 2018 Frenzy Schedule Runoff Vote 2

Options are discussed in the original 2018 Frenzy Schedule Vote and the 2018 Frenzy Schedule Runoff Vote.

Option 3 was eliminated in the Runoff Vote.

2 choices remain, both consist of a 14 week regular season. The differences between them are the number of playoff teams, the number of playoff weeks, and whether the championship will be week 16 or week 17.

This vote is essentially: Do you prefer keeping 6 playoff teams this season with a week 17 championship game or do you prefer only 4 playoff teams and a 2 week championship.

The official options are described below:

Option 1 (5 votes in the runoff poll) - 14 games over a 14 week season (5 weeks won't involve byes and we won't have a double header), 6 playoff teams, playoffs weeks 15-17. Division games will be weeks 1, 2, 3, 5 (2 teams on bye), 13 and 14.

Option 2 (5 votes in the runoff poll) - 14 games over a 14 week season (5 weeks won't involve byes and we won't have a double header), 4 playoff teams (3 division winners and 1 wildcard), playoffs weeks 15-16. Division games will be weeks 1, 2, 3, 5 (2 teams on bye), 13 and 14. Should this option win, we will hold a vote to define who qualifies as the Wildcard and determine whether it will be the next best record overall, or if we use the formula we currently use for the 6th seed.

Note, to avoid a tie, I will withhold my vote till the end and place it on whichever option garners 6 votes so we WILL have a majority with this vote.

Personally I prefer Option 1 so we maintain 6 playoff teams and more teams are in the hunt for the playoffs late into the season. A week 17 championship will impact 2 teams who were savvy enough to make the championship game and certainly should have the skill to build depth on their roster or make key UFA additions during the playoffs to insure against the possibility that a key player or 2 may play less or sit week 17.

Option 2 will mean 2 fewer teams make the playoffs, and likely more teams out of the hunt mid-season, so think carefully how this option will impact the season overall just so we can have a week 16 championship. My

Last edited by Preds; May 20th, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Bounty Hunter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2018 Frenzy Schedule Runoff Vote 2

Mike, just wanted to let you know I appreciate all the work you put into this. I don't always agree with you but really appreciate the effort.

And since I'm really conflicted, i may end up flipping a coin, maybe best of 7. Times like this wish I had a lot of really good players on crappy NFL teams.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

I would have been in favor of any of the options, except the week 17 championship
Liquid Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 02:48 PM   #4
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

It seems like option 3 is/was the best compromise lol
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchmego View Post
Maybe if enough people see it that way we can get a redo!!
Old May 19th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchmego View Post
That's where I was going to put my vote but doesn't look like it would have mattered. Maybe would have been better to allow up to two votes...maybe next year
Old May 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM   #7
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Since i voted for the lowest vote total on both polls, I just gotta figure out which option I dislike the least and vote for the other option.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...b&action=click
Old May 19th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #8
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

I'm almost willing to offer a fourth rounder for votes on 6 team playoff choice....ALMOST...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:01 PM   #9
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

emerald is on a distinguished road

I'll offer Burt's 3rd for "No week 17 championship" option for 1st convert and what the heck...his 2020 3rd for the next convert. **

I'm just trying to break you of trading 3rd's Burt. Tough Love

** Disclaimer - I don't own any of Burt's 3rds so my offer is in jest. **
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:09 PM   #10
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
I'm almost willing to offer a fourth rounder for votes on 6 team playoff choice....ALMOST...
I may play it like odds for a poker hand, you gotta get there before one of them matters.
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald View Post
I'll offer Burt's 3rd for "No week 17 championship" option for 1st convert and what the heck...his 2020 3rd for the next convert. **

I'm just trying to break you of trading 3rd's Burt. Tough Love

** Disclaimer - I don't own any of Burt's 3rds so my offer is in jest. **
Burt trades them when he doesn't them.
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Preds
*****istrator

The fear of a week 17 championship is staggering to me. I just don’t get it whatsoever. Find a way to win. It’s what great teams do. In the meantime, let’s keep 6 playoff teams so more teams are in the hunt late in the season. It’s a no brainer IMO.

Option 1 may impact 2 teams saavy enough to make the championship. Or it may have no impact or minimal impact on them.

Option 2 impacts all 12 teams by reducing the odds to make the playoffs by 33%. Those 2 eliminated teams now have ZERO chance at a championship in week 16. Bet they would have preferred the chance to make the post season and deal with a potential player or 2 not playing full time week 17 for a shot at the title...

GREAT TEAMS FIND A WAY TO WIN REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCE. All they have to do is have a shot...

Last edited by Preds; May 19th, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #13
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Mike, it sounds like you know where you want your vote to go so why not vote that way instead of holding it for potential over the top vote?
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Swords View Post
Mike, it sounds like you know where you want your vote to go so why not vote that way instead of holding it for potential over the top vote?
Oh I certainly want it to go that way, BUT, I also want to be done with the runoff votes and move on, thus I'll vote to put whichever hits 6 votes first and deal with it.

I don't feel option 2 is best for the league as a whole but if 6 others do, I'll deal with it and move on, but I suspect when teams start throwing in the towel mid-season and it becomes a league of haves and have-nots for the back end of the season then we'll all wish it went the other way.

I try to look at these things from the league perspective as well, and the overall impact to all teams, not just my own.

Last edited by Preds; May 19th, 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:41 PM   #15
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Funny that you're the one who brought the option up in the first place. We probably should have voted on 4 vs 6 team playoff and then schedule if 6 was chosen.
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:51 PM   #16
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Swords View Post
Funny that you're the one who brought the option up in the first place. We probably should have voted on 4 vs 6 team playoff and then schedule if 6 was chosen.
I brought up the best options I could think of, and invited others to make suggestions. Yours was the only one in the original vote to add option 2, so I did. Nobody else offered alternatives until after things didnt go their way.

Nobody wants to come up with solutions. Nobody else puts proposals to fix issues with the rules, many of which I'll note have hurt my team over the years. No, teams wait until AFTER things don't go their way, then the petty accusations and bitching start.

I think Chuck made a great post about the value of the 6 playoff teams, and in light of that prefer option 1. BUT, despite that, for the betterment of the league I'll put my vote the other direction so we can have a majority and move on, yet it's still invites this kind of petty BS.

At this point the league is becoming way more of a headache to be in, than fun. There are far better things to do in life than argue on a stupid message board over small things. Frankly, I'm happy to fully step away from the league again if that's what you'd prefer.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:12 PM   #17
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post

I think Chuck made a great post about the value of the 6 playoff teams, and in light of that prefer option 1. BUT, despite that, for the betterment of the league I'll put my vote the other direction so we can have a majority and move on, yet it's still invites this kind of petty BS.
I also think Chucks post was great !! I also believe it was in that post he asked "Why are we afraid of bye weeks?" or something to that effect. That was a good point.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:21 PM   #18
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
I also think Chucks post was great !! I also believe it was in that post he asked "Why are we afraid of bye weeks?" or something to that effect. That was a good point.
Not afraid of bye weeks, but they should be minimized as much as possible for division games which carry far more importance than non-division games.

The rules have stated for years that division games should be "preferably on weeks when the NFL has no teams on BYE," a prime reason the existing 13 week schedule doesn't work with the current slate of NFL byes.

Further, I have yet to hear a single reason why a week 17 championship game which MAY impact 16.67% of the league (2 out of 12 teams) is worse than a 33% reduction in playoff teams that impacts 100% of the league.

Last edited by Preds; May 19th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:47 PM   #19
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

We’re spending way too much time on this. Please vote everyone. And let’s move on. This league is not my life.
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #20
Bounty Hunter
Feeding Frenzy

Here's what the rules say about schedules. Do we need to address this section at another time:

11. League Schedule

11A. Regular Season

The regular season will run for fourteen (14) games, during the first thirteen weeks of the NFL season, with one week being a double=header week. The double-header week will have only one divisional game matchup. AND it must be after all NFL bye-weeks have finished.

Each team will play the teams in their respective divisions twice (preferably on weeks when the NFL has no teams on BYE) and all other teams once.

This is from the rules on MFL. I did not check for changes that may not be included.
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:15 PM   #21
Preds
*****istrator

And because of issues with NFL expanding bye weeks we've been voting alternatives each season for the past few years.

The 14 games over 13 weeks worked better when there were fewer bye weeks. The expanded byes of the past few years have wreaked havoc on keeping a balanced divisional schedule without us also altering our schedule to adapt.

The math isn't that hard, and it's been an open process each season.

I'm sick of discussing this entire f'n issue. Place your vote, be done with it. I don't care where it goes, but I do think this will be my last season in the league either way at this point, that's if I don't walk away sooner. I'm sick of the arguing, negative undertones and passive aggressive posts. This is to be supposed be fun league, you want to battle over minutia do it in a pay league. Far far more important things in life than this. Far more.
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #22
Preds
*****istrator

Screw it, I voted option 1. Let it end in a tie for all I care.
Old May 20th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #23
emerald
Feeding Frenzy

emerald is on a distinguished road

My vote, my preference. I get that I only have a 1 of 12 say in this and I am fine with going along with what the majority wants.

You say week 17 championship game only affects 2 owners but I feel it affects all 12.

The champion is determined in a game where the NFL doesn’t play their best players. To them it is just another game along their path to get to their Superbowl win. In week 17 they rest their veterans, limit the use of those that do play and decide to take no chances with their dinged up players. I am understanding of the NFL making the call to help them get to the next step, not so much with us deciding that our champ depends on this weeks play decisions. I want to see our 2 best teams put their best 2 squads out there to compete for the honor of being this years Frenzy Bowl Grand Champion.

The main objection is that we only have 4 in playoffs instead of 6. I agree with Bobby that would have more merit to me if we were a redraft. However with our setup I feel that the other 8 can still be invested by pulling for their favorite contender and getting a jump on moves to improve their teams chances for the future. I don’t see any in this group tanking though a team might start some younger guys to help in future roster decisions.

Now if we got to a 4 team playoff I might have stronger feelings on how the wildcard team was determined but that is for another post.
Old May 20th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #24
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

One vote left.
Old May 20th, 2018, 07:26 PM   #25
Scorpions
Administrator

Scorpions is on a distinguished road

I think 4 team playoffs is far worse option than week 17 championship. Less teams in the playoffs mean more teams mail it in early. Week 17 championship means you need more depth. I like keeping more teams more active.
Scorpions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 10:52 PM   #26
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Default Re: Option 1 Passes 7 to 5 - 2018 Frenzy Schedule Runoff Vote 2

Option 1 it is.
Now let’s move on to finish the RFA period.
Then bring on the Rookie draft! (Woot!)