Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy League Chat
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th, 2020, 04:27 PM   #1
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road
Default Funchess options

What are my options with this guy since he opted out??? Other than keep or cut...is there a roster exemption or Covid IR slot...I need to know before I have to make move due to UFA bids...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Funchess options

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
What are my options with this guy since he opted out??? Other than keep or cut...is there a roster exemption or Covid IR slot...I need to know before I have to make move due to UFA bids...
I've tried bringing this up in the Covid thread but nobody seems to want to engage on the subject.

I agree with you that it needs to be addressed. Just like the Covid IR spots which we've been trying to get addressed for a couple months now!
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #3
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

A Zombie Pirate I Be is on a distinguished road

I was going to reply to the thread the other day, but not sure if I bored everyone with my prior comments.

However, I think we need another "Squad" for this season.
Similar to Taxi Squad or Practice Squad.
Covid Squad. Limited to only players that Opt Out of for the season. Of course we will need to figure out what to do with thier Salaries and Contract Years going into next year. Also what happens if they change thier minds mid-season (or will the NFL allow that?).
A Zombie Pirate I Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:01 PM   #4
Preds
*****istrator

Opt Outs are final once a player submits the paperwork.

That said, the paperwork hasn't been finalized by the NFLPA and the league and the earliest they can be official is 1 week from the date the league and players come to agreement on the paperwork.

In light of that, regardless of what we eventually decide as a league, Funchess isn't "officially" opted out and therefore has the same roster status as every other player in the Frenzy. Once the paperwork is finalized and he submits it, THAT's when options might be possible (that is IF the league ever gets off it's collective arse and actually makes pro-active decisions to avoid the oncoming mess)!
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

I think we've talked it to death.. Someone needs to add a vote.. Isn't that how we make new rules?
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:25 PM   #6
Preds
*****istrator

The Opting out clause is new this past week and very likely is going to be a big issue.

BTW RB Damien Williams just informed their GM that he's opting out.
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
The Opting out clause is new this past week and very likely is going to be a big issue.

BTW RB Damien Williams just informed their GM that he's opting out.
So why make it specific....any player not playing for any length of time due to anything Covid related, qualifies for the special slot...lets not complicate things...

At this point, I would only vote for something simple - add certain number of slots above the IR slots already available, that are only for players out due to any covid related issue - say 3 new slots. No restrictions on bidding on replacement players - you win him, you can sign him as long as you want.....once Covid player comes off list, same rules as regular IR apply

Keep it simple
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
So why make it specific....any player not playing for any length of time due to anything Covid related, qualifies for the special slot...lets not complicate things...

At this point, I would only vote for something simple - add certain number of slots above the IR slots already available, that are only for players out due to any covid related issue - say 3 new slots. No restrictions on bidding on replacement players - you win him, you can sign him as long as you want.....once Covid player comes off list, same rules as regular IR apply

Keep it simple
Not for nothing but the opt-outs need to be handled differently. We'll know who they all are in the next week or so, and they are guaranteed out for the season. Once a player officially opts-out to the NFL they're out for the 2020 season and cannot change their mind and come back at a future date.

IMO we should consider an opt-out reserve list where the salary doesn't count on the team's cap, the contract year tolls, and the player is out for the 2020 season. Further, teams should be allowed to place as many players on this list currently on their roster that actually opt-out.

Chuck already has 2 players who have indicated they will be opting out. I suspect we're going to see quite a few more names within the next week once the league finalizes the paperwork with the players.

Last edited by Preds; July 29th, 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 07:01 PM   #9
A Zombie Pirate I Be
Feeding Frenzy

A Zombie Pirate I Be is on a distinguished road

I like the Opt Out Squad - Unlimited number and only players that Officially Opt Out.
AND
For the other Covid Issues - adding a couple IR slots.
A Zombie Pirate I Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 09:16 PM   #10
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Okay... missed the opt-out posts on this thread. So, I’d be fine with any number of players who opt out to stay with their fantasy team at no contract or salary ramifications. So, their contract year will count, though, right? So if it’s a 1-year player, then he’d be eligible for RFA status, but that year would be used up this season even if they opt out. Correct?
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 09:22 PM   #11
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

I lean more toward what Burt is saying. Keep it simple. We could allow teams to cut an opt-out player without penalty, but team could also sign new acquisitions for multiple years and put on COVID-IR. I don't think we need an opt-out squad.
Liquid Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 10:23 PM   #12
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

What if the player has more than one year on their contract, say 3 years and 1000cb's. Just cut all years/cb's with no penalty?

I think it's easy if it's a 1 year contract but more difficult if multiple years.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:03 PM   #13
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

Holy $#!+...well I guess we found the team 1st in trouble...not to say we won't have more...

Are we at least gonna put a hold on screwing my team (and others) with roster limits for a minute until we figure this out? I'd like to retain both player rights (as of now) and still have to decide on Williams years. I know Opihi had to make a cut for roster size, but it had nothing to do with covid issues. I have some defenses in the pipeline and those decisions will come shortly. I have not started hunting replacements even though I have some talent at lower levels.

If we don't do roster relief for current opt outs, and I believe they are firm once announced - the final decision date is 1 week after proposal signed - which hasn't happened yet - but I have not heard a player can reverse his decision - I can cut these guys if it comes to that, but a vote on something simple would be nice in short order here...one or more of you seasoned veterans should pop something formal up on the boards to see where we are at least...

Old July 29th, 2020, 11:04 PM   #14
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

Rick, the multi year contract guys only lose 1 year and $$$ won't count against you if I read the proposal right...pretty simple if we can do it...

Old July 30th, 2020, 11:57 AM   #15
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
Holy $#!+...well I guess we found the team 1st in trouble...not to say we won't have more...

Are we at least gonna put a hold on screwing my team (and others) with roster limits for a minute until we figure this out? I'd like to retain both player rights (as of now) and still have to decide on Williams years. I know Opihi had to make a cut for roster size, but it had nothing to do with covid issues. I have some defenses in the pipeline and those decisions will come shortly. I have not started hunting replacements even though I have some talent at lower levels.

If we don't do roster relief for current opt outs, and I believe they are firm once announced - the final decision date is 1 week after proposal signed - which hasn't happened yet - but I have not heard a player can reverse his decision - I can cut these guys if it comes to that, but a vote on something simple would be nice in short order here...one or more of you seasoned veterans should pop something formal up on the boards to see where we are at least...
Unfortunately until we as a league come to a consensus, standard rules apply.

I posted my suggested terms in the Covid-IR thread for Covid-IR and Opt-Outs a short while ago. If there is enough support they can be put up to vote, but I highly doubt we complete that vote within 24 hours (unless you want to go on a text crusade to get teams to vote ASAP). Votes are further complicated since we're past the start of the rookie draft, rules changes now require a unanimous vote to be active for the 2020 season (though I think the Commish's of both leagues should overlook this requirement due to the unprecedented circumstances we're in).

Finally, no player has "officially" opted out yet as the paperwork to do so still isn't finalized between the NFLPA and the NFL. Once they officially opt-out they'd be eligible for the Frenzy Opt-Out list (if we vote to create it).
Old July 30th, 2020, 12:32 PM   #16
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

I think we can make an exception for COVID only rules to not require unanimous decision.
Liquid Swords is offline   Reply With Quote