User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default CDL NEWS: Fury active again, jump to the head of the class

The CDL's franchise with the best all-time record (Zeus' Fury for those who somehow might of missed that fact) made another move to stay near the top. This time they moved themselves up to the top of the draft order.

After trading Ahman Green away to the "unnamed" team formerlly owned by Dr. J; the Fury has gone back to the kettle and negotiated a deal with the new owner of the franchise (The Immortal Ramirez) that has netted them the top pick in the 2004 CDL rookie draft.

To move up to 1.01, the Fury sent Ramirez's new squad, RB Tyrone Wheatley (and his near minimum 1.5 million 1 year contract) along with their 1.04 and 1.11 2004 rookie draft selections.

For those keeping score at home, when all is said and done, the two teams have basically made the following exchange over the past 2 weeks:

inline imageThe Fury sent away
RB Ahman Green (1 yr 52 mil)
RB Tony Fisher (1 yr 2 mil)
RB Tyrone Wheatley (1 yr 1.5 mil)
2004 1.11
2005 2nd rd pick

and received
RB Thomas Jones (2 yrs 4.0 mil)
WR Brandon Lloyd (4 yrs 2.0 mil)
WR Marty Booker (3 yrs 5.7 mil)
2004 1.01
2004 1.10
2005 2nd rd pick

In addition to the players and picks, the Fury also free'd up a whopping 43.8 million in cap space!

Fury GM Mike SantaLucia wouldn't confirm the teams intentions with the #1 pick, although, don't be surprised to see the team take what they consider to be the #1 RB off the board. Just as they did a year ago when drafting Willis McGahee at 1.03, and back in 2002 when the club targeted Clinton Portis in the rookie auction and indeed won his services. Of course with such a talented WR draft, a WR is always a possibility as well, and the team is said to be enamored with Fitzgerald.

While trading away a stud is always difficult, the GM had the following to say about the team's recent moves
Quote:
"I'm a believer in being aggressive in the draft and making sure my team gets the player I perceive to be the #1 player available. We did that 2 years ago with Clinton, and again last year with Willis. We expect to find 2 great players in this draft (with picks 1.01 and 1.10) that will help us continue the dynasty we're trying to grow. I want to keep this team at the front of the pack, and hopefully we'll get that elusive title in 2004 and beyond because of the aggressive moves we made these past couple weeks."
The GM also made a point to quell recent rumors about the team signing a pact with the Devil himself a couple years ago in exchange for the team's success
Quote:
"That's just useless ranting and raving by that Doggler fellow. Don't you think we would have gotten that perfect 16-0 season 2 years ago instead of 15-1 had we made a deal? Then following up that 2002 Championship loss with another heartbreaker in the Championship game last season! We no longer have any deals... oops I mean we never had a deal. Umm, well, I mean, you know... if one side can't hold up to their end of the bargain you just can't ever have a deal... ah nevermind, now I think you're going to twist my words, really, we never made any deals with the Devil... honest! :crossesfingers: In the end, Doggs is just jealous of our past success. I hope he gets the opportunity to meet us in the CDL championship in 2004, then we'll be able to show him what being the best is all about... and finally we might receive the payoff we've been owed... I mean deserve... ah forget it..."
Take what you want from the above, useless ramblings perhaps, but maybe from the Fury's GM and NOT that Doggler fellow after all!
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote