Pred's Fantasy Football Forums

Go Back  Pred's Fantasy Football Forums > Feeding Frenzy - Fantasy Football League > Frenzy Rules & Bylaws
User Name
Password
Home Forums FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 17th, 2020, 01:58 PM   #1
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road
Covid Covid IR Spots

Hey Guys, I was wanting to see what you all thought about implementing some covid IR spots that would allow us to place players on IR for 2 weeks and then week by week until they are back. We could discuss 1/2 or full salary allowance while in the Covid IR spot. Any other thought or suggestions? This could get weird this season.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 02:35 PM   #2
Preds
*****istrator

Preds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Covid IR Spots

You mean for players out due to Covid positive tests?

Standard IR would be a fit for that, however, I can see the need to increase IR slots as there is a good possibility players will miss tie specifically because of Covid. I'd be open to adding a couple Covid-IR spots. Lets see what everyone else thinks.
Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Scorpions
Administrator

Scorpions is on a distinguished road

what about spots for seasonal flu?
Scorpions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 04:33 PM   #4
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpions View Post
Does seasonal flu require mandatory isolation and quarantine taking you out of commission for 2 weeks or more regardless of the degree of your seasonal flu? In that case sure, however, Covid is an entirely different beast and even healthy that test positive face isolation and quarantine.
Old June 17th, 2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Scorpions
Administrator

well the more I find out about covid the more overblown its become. and I think were overreacting to it. and me and my wife are high risk. athmas here, my wife has no immunity system, she gets infusions once a month, and even the docs told her this last week that she should be more concerned with getting the flu. so that's coming from the people seeing this day to day, doctors and nurses think weve over blown this.

of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that's where im at on it.

but having said all that, the NFL will likely be overcautious.

we can make it unlimited IR spots then if the NFLs going to quarantine players who get it, might need the 5th string QB.
or play it by ear and increase it as we go maybe add 2-3 slots now, and with the understanding if the number of players on IR for this dramatically increases, then we would need to adjust mid season.
Old June 17th, 2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Scorpions
Administrator

fyi I was joking in my original post,
Old June 17th, 2020, 09:24 PM   #7
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

chasmvp19 is on a distinguished road

I’m a firm no...this is why we have rosters...

2017 Frenzy Bowl (Runner-Up)
chasmvp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2020, 09:27 PM   #8
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

Now...you want more...let’s go all the way more with Covid...larger actual roster and more cap to go along with it...

We don’t know what is going to happen and we are making changes to just make them??? Expand it all, why just IR?!?!?!

Old June 18th, 2020, 12:24 AM   #9
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

Royal Hawaiian Opihi is on a distinguished road

Was that the Ezekiel Elliot owner who asked for an expanded IR slot?!?
;)
Royal Hawaiian Opihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 01:27 AM   #10
wchmego
Feeding Frenzy

wchmego is on a distinguished road

Chuck, yes we have rosters but are you going to cut players on your team to make room if 5-6 players get covid and have to sit out 2+ weeks? We need to be able to field teams to play each week. How do we move players up from ts/ps without being able to make room? Right now you'd have to cut players or just take a zero. Obviously, this would be temporary and not a permanent thing. I am bringing it up now so we can plan ahead instead of fumbling if/when it does happen. If no one gets covid then nothing would change and if some players do we can make room to bring players up or grab a temporary ufa.

Rick
Cell/Text: 719-237-0354
wchmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 02:41 AM   #11
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

I understood it...

Old June 18th, 2020, 12:11 PM   #12
Burt the Butcher
Supreme FF Dominator

Burt the Butcher is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking if you have 5-6 players on your team out with Covid, the NFL may be rethinking letting teams play...I do not see it getting to that point before NFL disbands the season.

Right now, we've had what, 2 players get tested positive? I think we can keep it in the back of our minds, and once/if season starts, and we see more players contracting it, then we can discuss further.

I would be ok with adding 1 temporary seasonal slot specifically for this to IR, and if they are playing full season, leave the weeks as they are already defined
And no ones got the time

OUT---
Burt the Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:28 PM   #13
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Butcher View Post
I'm thinking if you have 5-6 players on your team out with Covid, the NFL may be rethinking letting teams play...I do not see it getting to that point before NFL disbands the season.

Right now, we've had what, 2 players get tested positive? I think we can keep it in the back of our minds, and once/if season starts, and we see more players contracting it, then we can discuss further.

I would be ok with adding 1 temporary seasonal slot specifically for this to IR, and if they are playing full season, leave the weeks as they are already defined
Several Cowboys & Texans tested positive a few days ago, as did another Bronco today. I agree with Rick and think it could be much more problematic during the season than you suspect.

Ezekiel Elliott, Several Cowboys, Texans Players Reportedly Test Positive for COVID-19: NFL Insider

Broncos' Kareem Jackson tests positive for COVID-19, says he's not surprised in spike among NFL players
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:29 PM   #14
Scorpions
Administrator

here is what I propose, have specific COVID IR slots, well have to in general increase IR slots to accommodate the change, so lets say 3-5 spots for covid only. and once a player comes off covid IR any player you picked up to replace him has to be dropped. he was only a temp fill in. and if more than 2-3 teams hit the cap on covid IR, then we have to acknowledge well need to adjust it up if that occurs. But in that case id have to agree with Burt that likely the seasons done at that point.

so 3-5 COVID only IR slots, we'll have to track this in a thread.
so any bid on a player to replace you have to post in your bid covid replacement.
so only the teams stating its a covid replacement have to drop.
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
here is what I propose, have specific COVID IR slots, well have to in general increase IR slots to accommodate the change, so lets say 3-5 spots for covid only. and once a player comes off covid IR any player you picked up to replace him has to be dropped. he was only a temp fill in. and if more than 2-3 teams hit the cap on covid IR, then we have to acknowledge well need to adjust it up if that occurs. But in that case id have to agree with Burt that likely the seasons done at that point.

so any bid on a player to replace you have to post in your bid covid replacement.
I like it. I think Covid specific spots is along the lines of what Rick was suggesting.
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:32 PM   #16
Scorpions
Administrator

well, a lot of these players went out to protest, so likely a lot more will get it soon, the more who get it the faster the immunity in the community is built up and the spread slows.
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:33 PM   #17
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:

We could stipulate 1 year contracts on Covid replacement players as well.
Old June 18th, 2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Scorpions
Administrator

I think likely we should allow the drop of a covid replacement with no cap hit.
if you get 4-5 of those players, even if you put 1 year contract, your likely going to want to have the original player who was on covid IR to be your starter.
or allow the flexibility to keep the player but with one year contract.

so still track if they are covid replacement, any players picked up as covid replacement, if dropped when a player who was on covid is activated, then no cap hit. have to put in the cut thread header coivd replacement dropped. or something like that.

the only issue I see is tracking it. but if we keep a thread with covid IRs, might help.
Old June 18th, 2020, 01:59 PM   #19
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
I think likely we should allow the drop of a covid replacement with no cap hit.
if you get 4-5 of those players, even if you put 1 year contract, your likely going to want to have the original player who was on covid IR to be your starter.
or allow the flexibility to keep the player but with one year contract.

so still track if they are covid replacement, any players picked up as covid replacement, if dropped when a player who was on covid is activated, then no cap hit. have to put in the cut thread header coivd replacement dropped. or something like that.

the only issue I see is tracking it. but if we keep a thread with covid IRs, might help.
That could work, I think when bidding for a Covid UFA the bidding team should indicate it is a COVID replacement if they win the bid, and then we should mark the sale as COVID. Of course if another team wins and is not using he player for Covid this wouldn't apply.
Old June 18th, 2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

I think that could work.
Not sure how many slots we might need for this though.
Maybe start with 2 or 3... and see how the season progresses?
Old June 19th, 2020, 01:51 PM   #21
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

Hold on...are you saying anyone can bid against a COVID bid??? So you want it the same as regular bidding when we see a guy trying to replace an injury or bye week player, but if the COVID bidder wins he gets to drop the COVID replacement free...can he keep the COVID replacement if he likes him better than his original sick rostered player??? I’m just guessing here, but the same IR rules (weeks) still apply - because we don’t know what “return” to health looks like yet??? What happens when an IR player gets marked COVID because he was out clubbing while rehabbing??? Are we shortening bidding time for COVID replacements??? Aaron Rodgers gets a Covid designation on Thur - still time in our system to get new player...Aaron gets designated on Sat - well now we got issues and your backup is on a bye week...how does that play out???

I’m not sure I like all owners able to bid against a Covid replacement...that is why we are designating them Covid in the 1st place...only other Covid replacement owners should be able to bid against due to roster and time constraints...I’m not on board with willie nillie bidding in the Covid threads...I would hate Mike (pick one) bidding against my Covid replacement while they had none and just because they could...unfair...

Old June 19th, 2020, 01:58 PM   #22
chasmvp19
Feeding Frenzy

AND...as IR monitor, it will be easy to follow Covid guys as long as they keep violating HIPPA laws on patient privacy...once they lock that back down, probably through a lawsuit, it will be almost impossible to track...FYI...re:Ezekiel Elliot...

Old June 19th, 2020, 02:14 PM   #23
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
Hold on...are you saying anyone can bid against a COVID bid??? So you want it the same as regular bidding when we see a guy trying to replace an injury or bye week player, but if the COVID bidder wins he gets to drop the COVID replacement free...can he keep the COVID replacement if he likes him better than his original sick rostered player??? I’m just guessing here, but the same IR rules (weeks) still apply - because we don’t know what “return” to health looks like yet??? What happens when an IR player gets marked COVID because he was out clubbing while rehabbing??? Are we shortening bidding time for COVID replacements??? Aaron Rodgers gets a Covid designation on Thur - still time in our system to get new player...Aaron gets designated on Sat - well now we got issues and your backup is on a bye week...how does that play out???

I’m not sure I like all owners able to bid against a Covid replacement...that is why we are designating them Covid in the 1st place...only other Covid replacement owners should be able to bid against due to roster and time constraints...I’m not on board with willie nillie bidding in the Covid threads...I would hate Mike (pick one) bidding against my Covid replacement while they had none and just because they could...unfair...
Valid points and why this is open discussion. This is coming together with input from everyone. Dale suggested players picked up for Covid would be CUT no matter what once they return, and to make the cut zero penalty. To accomplish that, we need to debate the best method for acquiring these players. Do we allow open bidding? Do we mark them specifically as Covd replacements and restrict the bidding only to teams also replacing a player for Covid? Do we consider First Come First Serve at the same cap as whatever player is being placed on IR (to prevent opening cap space being an advantage)?

I'm leaning towards First Come First Served at the replacement players salary with mandatory cut at no penalty once the player returns to active status with his NFL team. If we go this route, we could open it up all the way to gametime for any player out listed out for Covid (alleviating one of your concerns). This would ensure the most competitiveness for teams, and take away any advantages such as cap space or keeping a player.

That said, the more ideas to create a Covid emergency plan the better. Thanks for pointing out potential flaws, it's a perfect example as to why hashing this out in advance while we have time to debate and craft a stronger emergency rule is beneficial.
Old June 19th, 2020, 02:17 PM   #24
Preds
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmvp19 View Post
AND...as IR monitor, it will be easy to follow Covid guys as long as they keep violating HIPPA laws on patient privacy...once they lock that back down, probably through a lawsuit, it will be almost impossible to track...FYI...re:Ezekiel Elliot...
The NFLPA's collective bargaining allows injuries to be declared with certain generalities (at least during the season). I'd expect it'd be well known and widely reported if a player is isolated / quarantined for Covid.
Old June 19th, 2020, 02:50 PM   #25
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Liquid Swords is on a distinguished road

I like idea of first come first serve COVID replacement. Maybe make that available from Saturday 12AM ET to game time or Thursday 12AM to game time for those games. This way normal bidding can take place. If bidding hasn't started on a player, then it would be first come first serve for COVID replacements.
Liquid Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 03:31 PM   #26
Scorpions
Administrator

as long as its not a player being bid on. the first come first serve. we have to still remember this is long term league, so if I like a guy and start bidding but another guy needs a covid replace, your saying he jumps the line and can take my guy I scouted?
Old June 19th, 2020, 03:38 PM   #27
Scorpions
Administrator

I think we might be over thinking this, expand IR slots and do bidding as normal, meaning the time on it. if covid gets that bad and a frenzy team has 5 to 6 players on IR from covid its likely a large percentage of NFL players are on that list. I prefer simple solution. and remember were all in the same boat, unless your me then I will have ten players out from COVID and every one else will have 1 or 2, .
Old June 19th, 2020, 03:49 PM   #28
Royal Hawaiian Opihi
Feeding Frenzy

I think Dale might be right. I see lots of problems with restricting players as being able to be bid on only as COVID replacements. I'm beginning to think we expand our IR and leave it at that.
Old June 19th, 2020, 04:39 PM   #29
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Expand IR or first come first serve like I outlined above.
Old June 19th, 2020, 04:43 PM   #30
Liquid Swords
Frenzy and SAC'D

Quote:
as long as its not a player being bid on. the first come first serve. we have to still remember this is long term league, so if I like a guy and start bidding but another guy needs a covid replace, your saying he jumps the line and can take my guy I scouted?
That's not what I was saying. Just limiting time period that COVID replacement can be added on first come first serve basis so normal bidding process can take place.